[library-media] Librarian brain power

Sarah Herron Sarah.Herron at slc.k12.ut.us
Tue Dec 1 14:57:06 MST 2009

I agree the with statements that if the library is to be used
effectively,the resources need to be readily available and easily found.
It is also my opinion that students/children/adults will not take care
of things or spaces if they don't look cared for to begin with. So, we
try to keep spaces dusted, books re-shelved (so they can be found!),
contraband food wrappers thrown away and, in this time of flu, the
tables wiped down daily. We also create attractive displays and
signage.

As one of the librarians currently at West High School, I can assure
you that our spine labels are no longer so regimented! We are way too
busy helping students and they (and we) are thrilled to have the titles
they want and need on the shelves. It would look a lot prettier, though!
:)

Thanks for the question, Cindy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sarah Herron
Library Technology Teacher
West High School, Media Center
241 N. 300 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84103
801-578-8500 x 271
801-578-8524 (fax)

Just Finished Reading: The Shack by William P. Young
Now reading: Riot by Walter Dean Myers

>>> "Jeri Albrecht" <jeraldene.albrecht at jordan.k12.ut.us> 12/1/2009
12:31 PM >>>
I second Susan’s opinion about it being essential to have an orderly
library. Getting my library in order these last 2 ½ years has been a
real
challenge, but rewarding. The library usage has increased dramatically,
feel part of the success is because it now looks and feels like a
library.
Students and teachers alike comment on how easy it is to find materials
they
need and how the whole environment of the media center has changed.
Cleaning
house to get an orderly library is not the easiest task to tackle but
it has
increased our work efficiency and ease in finding those resources you
need
in a timely manner.

Jeri Albrecht

Librarian Teacher