[library-media] Librarian brain power

Susan Huff sah3239 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:30:26 MST 2009

I think it is essential.  I have literally been in hundreds of libraries
across the United States when I trained for Dynix.  I have been in the
majority of the libraries in Jordan/Canyons districts.  It has especially
been revealing when working with elementary libraries that vary from OCD
clean and orderly to dusty, sticky, cluttered.

A well ordered library with engaging displays and plenty of lighting is much
more conducive to leisurely browsing as well as intense researching.  There
is just a totally different feeling walking into an orderly environment.

I do think orderliness can be taken to an absurd extreme, however.  I
remember a librarian many years ago at West High School that actually
bragged that she had spent two whole years re-doing all her call numbers.
Every call number in the collection was the same size and started EXACTLY
one inch from the bottom of the book.  I was appalled that all the
activities she could have been promoting to increase information literacy
and the love of literature had been sacrificed for such a ridiculous end.

It is sort of like going to someones house for dinner.  If the house is a
complete disaster, your appetite can be severely affected.