[library-media] National Literacy Month

Lanell Rabner lanell.rabner at nebo.edu
Tue Oct 20 13:05:52 MDT 2009

Thanks Fawn!

Youtube is a sticky wicket when it comes to copyright.
Read the following and use your best judgment!

 From Edutopia, October 2009:

In classrooms where YouTube is blocked, download the
video. Convert it to your playback format of choice (mp4,
FLV, HD, AVI, MPEG, 3GP, iPhone, PSP, mp3, GIF) and store
it on your laptop or PDA, which lets you access it at any
time, even if it's removed from the site.

YouTube doesn't typically offer a way to download and save
most videos directly, but if you use Firefox, you can use
the free DownloadHelper extension, which makes most videos
downloadable and convertible to several formats.

Add the word kick to the URL before youtube. The URL
kickyoutube.com will load with a KickYouTube toolbar that
lets you download the file. Many Web sites can help you
download videos, including Zamzar, YouTube Robot, and
PodTube. According to YouTube's terms of use, you're not
supposed to download unless you see a download link.

Although the fair use clause in the Copyright Law of the
United States allows the use of works without permission
for teaching, the user must adhere to some key regulations
that can be vague and confusing. One thing is clear,
though: Any material first published after 1978 is
copyright protected. You can find the U.S. Copyright
Office's educational-use guidelines in Circular 21.

 From the University of Georgia:

Where the factors favoring fair use outnumber those
against it, reliance on fair use is justified. Where fewer
than half the factors favor fair use, instructors should
seek permission from the rights holder. Where the factors
are evenly split, instructors should consider the total
facts weighing in favor of fair use as opposed to the
total facts weighing against fair use in deciding whether
fair use is justified. Not all of the facts will be
present in any given situation.

Factor 1: Purpose and Character of the Use

Weighs in Favor of Fair Use

Nonprofit Educational
Teaching (including multiple copies or classroom use)
Research or Scholarship
Criticism, Comment, News Reporting, or Parody
Transformative (use changes work for new utility or
purpose)
Personal Study
Use is necessary to achieve your intended educational
purpose

Weighs Against Fair Use

Commercial activity
Profiting from use
Entertainment
Non-transformative
For publication
For public distribution
Use exceeds that which is necessary to achieve your
intended educational purpose

Factor 2: Nature of Copyrighted Work

Weighs in Favor of Fair Use

Published work
Factual or nonfiction work
Important to educational objectives 	Weighs Against Fair
Use

Unpublished work

Highly creative work (art, music, novels, films, plays,
poetry, fiction)
Consumable work (workbook, tests)

~lanell