[library-media] FW: Censorship Exhibit Available for Banned Books Week

Loutensock, Georgia Georgia.Loutensock at schools.utah.gov
Mon Aug 10 12:52:00 MDT 2009

FYI  Welcome back!  gml

Georgia Loutensock
georgia.loutensock at schools.utah.gov

________________________________
From: Donald Parker [mailto:Coalcen1 at verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 10:49 AM
To: jackie.dalmy at state.mn.us
Cc: clarson at nd.gov; sandy_garrett at sde.state.ok.us; katie.anderson at state.or.us; jhollinger at state.pa.us; gmoses at riclan.org; fvereen at statelibrary.sc.gov; norma.ochoa at state.tn.us; Loutensock, Georgia; sybil.mcshane at mail.dol.state.vt.us; jhathcock at lva.lib.va.us; pdavis at secstate.wa.gov; haydens at wvlc.lib.wv.us; michael.cross at dpi.wi.gov; ekinne at state.wy.us
Subject: Censorship Exhibit Available for Banned Books Week

It would be appreciated if you would send this on by e-mail to your member librarians. Thank you for your cooperation.

Don Parker

Censorship in Schools and Libraries" exhibit available for Banned Books Week in the fall.

The Long Island Coalition Against Censorship is an association of 22 educational and community organizations (16 are public libraries and professional library organizations). The purpose of the Coalition is to defend challenges to the First Amendment rights of public and school libraries when there are efforts by individuals or groups to censor books and other materials

In planning an exhibit for Banned Books Week in the fall, you might wish to consider displaying the new edition of our exhibit, "Censorship in Schools and Libraries."

The 2009 edition of the exhibit presents 32 illustrations of censorship each one approximately 11" x 14" with accompanying text that is 11" x 14." The history of censorship in public libraries and schools highlights incidents of censorship that have occurred nationally during the last 150 years. Included are descriptions of the censorship of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, In the Night Kitchen, The Catcher in the Rye, and the novels of Judy Blume and Chris Crutcher. The censorship of Susan Patron's novel, The Higher Power of Lucky, which was awarded the Newbery Prize, is in the new edition. U.S. Supreme Court decisions including the landmark Island Trees book banning case are part of the exhibit.

 Quality copies have been reproduced which may be readily presented on posters or bulletin boards in your library and then retained by you as a reference source. If your space is limited, we suggest that you rotate the incidents of censorship during the time the exhibit is on display. Excerpts from the exhibit are on our web site www.the-licac.org<http://www.the-licac.org/>. Click on Exhibits, "Censorship in Schools and Libraries" (for a description of the exhibit) and then Selected Cases. You may order the exhibit by e-mail or sending a purchase order to the LI Coalition Against Censorship, PO Box 296, Port Washington, N.Y.11050. The cost of the exhibit including mailing charges is $40.00. We request payment by check within 30 days after you receive the exhibit. If you need any additional information our e-mail address is coalcen1 at verizon.net<mailto:coalcen1 at verizon.net> or call (516) 944-9799.

Donald Parker, Co-coordinator, LI Coalition Against Censorship