[library-media] FW: Information Literacy Tutorial Roll-out

Loutensock, Georgia Georgia.Loutensock at schools.utah.gov
Thu Jul 23 14:38:40 MDT 2009

 FYI

Georgia Loutensock
georgia.loutensock at schools.utah.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: JaNae KINIKIN [mailto:JKINIKIN at weber.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:42 PM
To: Loutensock, Georgia
Subject: Fwd: Information Literacy Tutorial Roll-out

Ms. Loutensock,

I know you sent this out once, but would you do so again?

Thank you,

JaNae

School Library Media Teachers and Other Interested Teachers,

A few years ago, Megan Davis and I, two librarians at Weber State University, surveyed many of you regarding information literacy in your schools.  We found that you are making a valiant effort to teach information literacy concepts to students, but are facing an uphill battle due to the lack of interest from administrators and many teaching faculty.

With this in mind, we mulled over how we might help bridge the gap between high school and freshman-level information literacy skills.
After talking to two library media teachers in the Ogden School District, we proposed the creation of a tutorial designed to assist in teaching basic information literacy concepts in a flexible, online format.  This tutorial is now complete and ready for beta-testing.

We would like to invite you to a roll-out of the HeLIOS (Hemingway Library Information Online Skills) tutorial at a breakfast meeting to be held at Weber State University's Stewart Library on Tuesday, August 11, 2009, at 10 am in Room 138.

The tutorial can be viewed at
http://library.weber.edu/ref/hstutorial/menu/menu.cfm

Please RSVP by July 31 to JaNae Kinikin at jkinikin at weber.edu or 801-626-6093.  Additional information about parking will be sent in a follow-up email to those who will be coming.

Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested.

Hope to see you there!!!

JaNae

JaNae Kinikin
Science Librarian