[library-media] Reading Quotes

Donna Morris dmorris at utah.gov
Fri Jan 30 23:04:45 MST 2009

I have several, some of which are:

(The first two are on glass paperweights in my office:)

“My greatest of all amusements, reading.”

- Thomas Jefferson to Abigail Adams, August 22, 1813

“The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, And all the sweet
serenity of books.”

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

“So it is with children who learn to read fluently and well: They begin
to take flight into whole new worlds as effortlessly as young birds take
to the sky.”

- William James

“Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.”

- Mortimer Adler

“A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it.”

- Samuel Johnson

“It is not true we have only one life to love, if we can read, we can
live as many lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.”

- S.I. Hayakawa

I hope the above help.  Good luck with your project.  Donna

Donna Jones Morris, State Librarian
Director, Utah State Library Division
250 N 1950 W, Suite A
Salt Lake City Ut  84116-7901
801-715-6770 (phone) 801-715-6767 (fax)
1-800-662-9150 (in-Utah-WATS)
dmorris at utah.gov

"Beginning August 4, 2008, state agencies' hours of operation are
Monday - Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and closed on Friday"

>>> Kathy Cowley <kathy.cowley at sevier.k12.ut.us> 1/30/2009 10:15 AM

I have a group of 8th grade Language Arts students who want to make a
list of favorite quotes about reading from Utah Librarians. Can you
help by sending yours and I'll pass it along to them. Thanks, Kathy

Kathy Cowley
North Sevier Middle School
Everybody's Somebody!