[library-media] Good z39.50 source for videos

Kim Johnson kjohnson at dsdmail.net
Mon Dec 15 11:04:36 MST 2008

Just do a googel search.
 Put the video title in "quotation marks"
then add the  words- browse catalog
this usually gives you a number of public library and university records to select from. there will also be some other things listed.
 If there is to much junk you can trim down the list  by adding words like library and video.
After you become familiar with how public and university web sites appear on the net restricting the list is not needed you can just scroll down to the site.
I have found this method to be faster than EZCAT- which I did not renew
>>> "Fawn Morgan" <fmorgan at dsdmail.net> 12/15/2008 10:38 AM >>>
Years ago I purchased Brodart's EZCAT which searches open source Z39
compliant sites.  MARC records can be downloaded.   We used it all the
time and I found it useful especially for the obscure.  Got a new
computer, however, and may need to update my license to reinstall.  It
was a one-time purchase rather than a yearly fee.  Of course, you don't
get support unless you pay yearly.  We have Follett's A+ which we
contains MARC records for most new books but with few, if any, AV MARC
records.  I also use Utah's Catalog for academic libraries
http://pioneer.utah.gov/libraries/academic_libraries.html  and then
copy paste the information when cataloging from scratch.

Fawn
Layton High

Kim Jay Johnson
Library Media Teacher
Sunset Jr. High
kjohnson at dsdmail.net

>>> Bill Goodrich <bgoodrich at dcsd.org> 12/12/2008 2:04 PM >>>
First, I have to admit that I don*t know too much about this.  Remember
when you were taking library courses and you were required to answer
what seemed like an impossible reference question(i.e. Wolf/Wolfe
packing, Was that one of JaDene*s question or Marilyn*s?)?  Anyway, my
question is turning into that.  I did, finally, find this really cool
list of z39.50 resources.

http://www.dillon2.k12.sc.us/staff/z39resources.asp

I obviously don*t know how many of these work and which ones are open
source and which require a password.  From this list my district uses
the most basic:

Library of  Congress http://www.loc.gov/z3950/lcserver.html#addr
OhioLINK

We also use UnivAZ.

The other 2 of the five are not working so I am not even going to
mention what they are.

Enjoy!