[library-media] Short read aloud resources?--Just a Suggestion

Marney Zambrano MZambrano at tooelesd.org
Tue Dec 2 08:48:20 MST 2008

There was a UELMA workshop awhile back about using picture books in the
secondary setting; it might be worthwhile for you to investigate the
concepts presented there.  You should be able to search the handout
archives and find some appropriate suggested titles,etc., but I think
you might also have success if you simply select some picture books or
easy nonfiction yourself, to read aloud and discuss, that could act as a
bridge to spark the kids' interest in "chapter books" or even a few more
advanced nonfiction titles about related subjects.  Such books usually
take about 15 minutes to read.  If you're interested, e-mail me
directly, and I'd be happy to share more information.  Good luck!

Marney Zambrano
Harris Elementary in Tooele
mzambrano at tooelesd.org

>>> "Stanton Fuller" <smfuller at weber.k12.ut.us> 12/1/2008 1:37 PM >>>

I’ve had one of our resource teachers come to me asking for help
with
her reading class. All of them “hate to read.”  She is going to
bring
the class to me once a week to try some things to get them to know
that
they don’t really hate to read, they just hate what they’ve been
given
to read.

One of the things that we have discussed doing is reading aloud some
excerpts from different books of varying genres.

Does anyone have, or know of, a resource that gives PARTS of books
that
can be read aloud with the goal of sparking some interest in the
individual audience members to read the entire book? Something that
tells you just the right chapter to read to get a girl interested, or
which paragraphs will grab a boys attention?

We are working with 7th and 8th graders in the resource reading class.
These kids have been working with Read 180, but the teacher says that
they are “bored out of their minds.”

Any other ideas besides read alouds?

Stan Fuller
Library Media Teacher