[library-media] Welcome Sam Passey to USL State Board

Donna Morris dmorris at utah.gov
Tue Oct 21 21:29:31 MDT 2008

Please join me in welcoming Sam Passey to the Utah State Library Board.  Sam was appointed by Governor Huntsman.  Sam is the Director of the Uintah County Library.  He wrote the following introduction of himself.

"I am married and the proud father of three girls ages six, two, and about forty-four days, respectively.   My wife's name is also Sam(antha) so that causes a bit of confusion when people call on the phone.  We've heard about all of the jokes out there, but at least I won't forget my wife's name.

What attracted me to libraries were the Special Collections up at Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) their incredible pictures of the Teton Dam flood really sparked my curiosity about libraries and ultimately led me to archival work at BYU-Idaho then the Marriott Library at the University of Utah.  While working at the U of U, I received my masters degree in library science from the University of North Texas.
Those who've been in the profession a while discover that archives jobs while wonderful, don't easily put bread on the table and we wanted to get out of our horrible apartment in Salt Lake City, so when a nice job as the Regional History Supervisor came up in Vernal, Utah, my wife and I leaped at the opportunity.
Unbeknownst to me, my boss and Uintah County library director was at the time in negotiations for another job (in Saudi Arabia).  I was appointed interim director of the library only after being on the job for four weeks.  Shortly thereafter I decided (perhaps foolishly) that since I was doing the library director job anyway, I might as well apply for the job outright.
I earned the job and life has been a whirlwind ever since.  Uintah County underwent a major library system migration from Horizon 8.0 to Unicorn on the first week of my job as director.  The joys of supervising 21.5 FTE with no middle managers between us and the usual personal matters continue to make life interesting for me.
In addition to the state library board, I serve on the state historic records advisory board and hope to foster continued communication between these two wonderful organizations and look forward to serving with each of you.

--
Sam Passey
Director
passey at co.uintah.ut.us
www.uintah.lib.ut.us

Donna Jones Morris, State Librarian
Director, Utah State Library Division
250 N 1950 W, Suite A
Salt Lake City Ut  84116-7901
801-715-6770 (phone) 801-715-6767 (fax)
1-800-662-9150 (in-Utah-WATS)
dmorris at utah.gov

"Beginning August 4, 2008, state agencies' hours of operation are Monday - Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and closed on Friday"