[library-media] Copyright Workshop

Nan Allsen nanette.allsen at nsanpete.k12.ut.us
Wed Oct 15 11:20:10 MDT 2008

An interesting article in the October 2008 issue of School Library
Journal titled, "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad C?", discusses some the
choices we face with regards to copyright in schools. A great article
to read in preparation for the Copyright Workshop scheduled for
November 14.

If you are planning on attending and have questions that you would
like Gary Becker to address, please send them to me by e-mail and I
will direct those to him.  Workshop information is included below.

[as seen in the UELMA newsletter]

COPYRIGHT SEMINAR WITH GARY BECKER

All of us are guilty of copyright infringement to some degree.  In
most cases it is the result of not knowing the full extent of
copyright limitations.   Copyright law is a complex field often
requiring litigation to determine if a violation has occurred.
Finding definitive information in understandable terms is a real
challenge.

The Utah Library Media Supervisors, in collaboration with UELMA and
the Utah State Library, are pleased to offer you an opportunity to
learn more about copyright law from a noted authority in the field.
Gary Becker,  a national copyright law administrator, will present a
seminar on the subject on November 14th, 2008 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
at the Alpine School District Offices.  Mr. Becker has been a
copyright law consultant since 1975 and has published books, quick
reference guides and produced video series that are in educational
institutions and libraries in all fifty states.

This is an excellent opportunity to learn from an expert in the
field.  All Utah library teachers and school administrators are
invited to attend.  Registration flyers for this event have been
mailed, and the registration form will also be available at www.uelma.org
.  Cost for the event is $10.00 which will include a box lunch.  For
further information contact Nan Ault, North Sanpete High School at
435-462-2452 or nan.ault at nsanpete.org.