[library-media] Thank you Debbie

georgeweight at integrity.com georgeweight at integrity.com
Tue May 13 16:17:35 MDT 2008

We're still fighting the same battles, and must do so on a continual,
ongoing basis. I'm reminded of the challenges we had in the 1980's,
when I served on the UELMA Board. I mentioned to our local association
president that I'd written a letter to then-president Betty Condie
about the budget cuts in State Library Media funding. His reply? "UEA
won't do anything about it."

Well, UEA did, and I had the opportunity of presenting to the
Education Subcommittee several times during Ms. Condie's and Jim
Campbell's tenures. Our efforts made a difference of some $3 million
dollars (if my memory serves me correctly) being restored to State
Library Media funding.

The irony is, that during one UEA fall session, at which I was
present, one of my own district colleagues spoke against our efforts.

The point is (and I encourage) constant vigilance with colleagues and
legislators is essential. The best P.R. is, of course, an excellent
program in individual schools. But frequent "tooting our own horn" may
draw notice of those who aren't paying attention!

George Weight (retired-Juab School District)
Past President UELMA