[library-media] FW: Movie Licensing USA/Is your school copyright compliant when showing copyrighted movies for end of the year events?

Loutensock, Georgia Georgia.Loutensock at schools.utah.gov
Mon Apr 28 09:45:34 MDT 2008

FYI.  Please note.  This could be important to you and your school.  gml

Georgia Loutensock
georgia.loutensock at schools.utah.gov



From: Kristi Hensley [mailto:khensley at movlic.com] 
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 9:19 AM
To: mlgcsg at msn.com; larry.jeppesen at cache.k12.ut.us; Loutensock, Georgia; janduane at jdchs.org
Subject: Movie Licensing USA/Is your school copyright compliant when showing copyrighted movies for end of the year events?


Please feel free to share this updated information on the Public Performance Site License with your members.  The end of the year is approaching and so too is the time when we see a lot of movies being shown for end of the year events.  Your district librarians may want to take this opportunity ask your faculty and staff if they are aware it is illegal to show copyrighted movies outside the curriculum without the public performance rights?  Also, do they know who to call to make it legal?  

I continue to receive inquires from your school district from the individuals that know how to legally license their events.  But, there are still those out there that do not know it is illegal, nor who to contact.  For those individuals, I would recommend passing along the updated licensing information I have attached below.  

Movie Licensing USA does offer pro-rating for those schools that want the license to cover end of the year events; but, don't want their annual license to start at the end of the school year.  

Thank you for taking copyright compliance seriously.  Please contact me if you have any questions regarding the licensing or pricing!    


Because you are a role model for your students and you respect federal copyright laws, you may want to take a quick copyright quiz.  According to US federal copyright law, any time a copyrighted movie is brought outside the home and shown in a public setting, like a school and it is shown outside the curriculum, you must obtain the public performance rights before you can legally show the copyrighted film on your campus.  

Questions you may want to ask your faculty/staff:

∙ Do my teachers have access to televisions and VCR//DVD players in the classrooms?  If so, are they aware you must obtain the licensing rights before you can legally show

  a copyrighted video outside the curriculum regardless of where the movies come from and whether you charge admission?

∙ Do I have an after-school or latch-key program on my school's campuses and are they using movies as part of their after-school activities.

∙ Do parent groups such as PTA's and PTO's use movies for activities such as Family Movie Nights?

∙ Do community groups use the school building and are they using movies in their activities?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, please contact your school district's Copyright Licensing Manager, Kristi Hensley.  Only Movie Licensing USA is able to offer a public performance site license for all of these Hollywood studios. No other licensing source can provide this exclusive, comprehensive coverage. 

An annual Movie Public Performance Copyright Compliance Site License is a 12 month license that starts on the day you specify.  The license allows anyone on campus such as teachers, after-school programs and parents groups to show as many movies as they see fit throughout the year.  You are allowed to show any copyrighted video produced by any of the major motion picture studios we represent, such as 

K-12 Public Schools Annual/Multi-Year License covers: Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Columbia Pictures, Tri-Star Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Miramax Films, United Artists, Warner Bros., Sony Pictures,  Universal Pictures,  Lion's Gate Films  and New Line Cinema.  

If the teachers occasionally show movies for After School Programs, Student Rewards, Bad Weather Days, Lunchroom Control, Indoor Recess, Family Movie Nights, Holiday Programs, PTA Attendance Enhancement for Meeting Night "Sitters," or any number of other possible uses, I would recommend the license to protect your school against copyright infringement. 


Attached you will find an informative brochure on the licensing.  We also have a website you can refer to at www.movlic.com <http://www.movlic.com/> .  If you or any of your school librarians have questions, please feel free to contact me by e-mail at khensley at movlic.com <mailto:khensley at movlic.com>  or toll free at 1-877-321-1300.



Kristi Hensley | Copyright Licensing Manager | P:877.321.1300 | F:877.876.9873 | Email: khensley at movlic.com
Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. | 10795 Watson Road | St. Louis, MO 63127 | United States of America | www.movlic.com
This email and any attachments are the property of Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. and are intended solely for the use of the email recipient or entity to whom the email is addressed.  Emails are not to be distributed to other parties without the express written permission of the original sender.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please delete this message.  Any other use, retention, or dissemination is strictly prohibited.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.uen.org/pipermail/library-media/attachments/20080428/b86f3169/attachment-0001.html 

More information about the library-media mailing list