[library-media] UELMA Conference

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Tue Apr 22 09:40:46 MDT 2008

One of the suggestions we newbies received in our AASL First Timers meeting was to process all our notes, papers, and handouts in the day or two after returning while our memories were still fresh.  Y'all have plenty of time to do that, right?  Still laughing? Here's a suggestion:

Our district held an effective UELMA processing this year.  A few weeks after the conference, we met as a group of secondary librarians and discussed the various sessions, one by one.  With so many excellent choices no one could attend all the sessions.  By sharing our best impressions, we were all able to benefit beyond just looking at the handouts.  Since we are all so busy with our everyday work, actually scheduling training to time to process the sessions was very helpful.  --- Just a suggestions for those districts who are able to schedule time.  Even scheduling a meeting with the librarians in your area would be beneficial.  Once again, thanks to all the presenters and organizers.

Have you ever attended the upcoming ULA conference?  There are some excellent sessions taught with application to those school libraries.  I met Nancy Pearl there a couple of years ago.  I assume you all have a NP action figure on display at your desk!

Fawn

>>> "Loutensock, Georgia" <Georgia.Loutensock at schools.utah.gov> 3/14/2008 11:08 AM >>>
Dear Colleagues,
I had an hour of down time this morning and spent it going through the
UELMA conference notebook.  Like many of you I had a hard time deciding
which sessions to attend.  After looking through the notebook I found I
really missed some great informative presentations.  Thank goodness for
the notebook and the handouts there.  To all of you ---PLEASE take time
to go through the book.  There is so much good stuff that can be used
right now in your libraries---ideas, lesson plans, PR materials,
booklists, etc.  (I have already made copies of several items to use in
my assignment and presentations.)  Also watch the UELMA website for
those handouts and materials that will be posted in the future.
Thanks to Cindy Mitchell and her committee and especially to all the
great presenters and the expertise they shared with all of us, either in
person or by way of their materials.
If you haven't done so already, start now to plan for "Love Your Library
Week," April 13-19.  This is an excellent opportunity to put the
spotlight on your library, and libraries of all kinds.  Thanks for all
your good work.  Keep smiling.  gml

Georgia Loutensock
Curriculum Section
Utah State Office of Education