[library-media] Book suggestion

Sarah Herron Sarah.Herron at slc.k12.ut.us
Tue Apr 8 12:57:11 MDT 2008

I have to say that I love this book and have ordered more copies for our library. It is poetic and pertinent to our African refugee population. It speaks of the challenges fitting into a new country, climate and school culture. I have shared it with our ESL teachers, but really think all teachers should read this to understand our ESL children.

Great suggestion, Kimi!

Sarah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sarah Herron
Library Technology Teacher
West High School, Media Center
801-578-8500 x251
>>> "kimi Burbank" <kim.burbank at cache.k12.ut.us> 04/08/08 10:05 AM >>>
I just got in a book called Home of the brave by Katherine Applegate written
in prose from the point of view of Kek, a refuge from Sudan.  It has such
great voice and word choice and would be perfect in an ESL class, but it
isn't the suspenseful scary type thing you were asking for.  It still would
get their attention and they could relate to his challenges.  Kimi

  _____