[library-media] TEACHER'S GREAT IDEA AND HELP REQUESTED

Jan Duane janduane at skaggscatholiccenter.org
Thu Apr 3 10:20:19 MDT 2008

One of the teachers here is going to run a contest with me - it's her idea.  She is having all her classes do this and I liked it so much I wanted you to know.

SIX WORD STORY CONTEST

Introduction
Ernest Hemingway was once prodded to compose a complete story in six  words. His answer, personally felt to be his best prose ever, was “For  sale: baby shoes, never used.” Some people say it was to settle a bar  bet. Others say it was a personal challenge directed at other famous  authors.

OTHER EXAMPLES (Not all will be used):

Willy Wonka is diabetic: no chocolate.

    The man went to dinner alone.

    Sorry, honey. I’m stuck in traffic.

    The book fell onto the baby.

    He sold his mother-in-law on Ebay.

    She didn’t know the cheese expired.

    Nothing happens to man. Only everything.

    She downed her cocktail in disgust.

    He didn’t want her to know.

    I woke up with festering sores.

Orson Scott Card: The baby's blood type? Human, mostly.

Stephen R. Donaldson: Don't marry her. Buy a house.

Ursula K. Le Guin: Easy. Just touch the match to

Brian Herbert: Epitaph: He shouldn't have fed it.

Words failed him. So did she. (Doug Pinkham, Oakton)

Snack: Expand. Don't snack: Expand. Snack! (Pie Snelson, Silver Spring)

Went. Worked too long. Returned. (Repeated.) (Julius Sanks, Ashburn)

"You were magnificent."
"You were available." (Art Grinath, Takoma Park)

Found: Wedding ring on bar stool.

Bang! (Fourteen billion years later . . .) Me! (Paul VerNooy, Wilmington, Del.)

(“Cursed with cancer, blessed with friends”)
 (“I still make coffee for two”)

Kirby had never eaten toes before.
-    Kevin Smith

"It can't be. I'm a virgin."
Kate Atkinson

It’s behind you! Hurry before it
-    Rockne S. O’Bannon

See that shadow? (It's not yours.)
-    Jim Crace

Bob's last message: Bermuda Triangle, Baloney.
Elmore Leonard

Dad called: DNA back: he isn't.
-    Helen Fielding

These are the categories we are going to use:
Funny
Heart wrenching (Hemingways')
Ironic
Sci-Fi
Best use of Punctuation to Express
Romance-- There were some good stories that focused on love.

It will be a school-wide contest.

I'm thinking about the logistics for doing this - name, category named, typed, prizes, judging, etc.

If any of you have any ideas, I would love to read what you suggest.  We want this to be fun and a success.

Thanks as always,
Jan Duane

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group.
They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet
and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with
them." Michael Moore