[library-media] Summer Reading Programs

Stanton Fuller smfuller at weber.k12.ut.us
Wed Apr 2 12:23:26 MDT 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to put together some type of summer reading program for our students here at Wahlquist Junior High. I know that there are some of you out there that have good programs going. And some of you have tried things that didn't work so well. I hope not to reinvent the wheel, round or square, so I'm asking for some help.

My idea is to have a tracking chart where the students can track their reading and their parents can sign off on it. Then at the end of the summer they can get some incentive prizes for the reading they have done.

Those who have working programs, do you reward based on books read? hours read? pages read?  What kind of incentives do you offer? What are the thresholds the students need to reach to qualify for the incentives.

Any forms, flyers, ideas, successes or failures that you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Stan Fuller
Library Media Teacher
Wahlquist Junior High