[library-media] Eulogies for Print Encyclopedias? and a Reviewing Media Confession

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Thu Mar 20 16:12:49 MDT 2008

**Today I received an e-mail providing a link to a district website on which an entire NYT article had been copied and published online without permission.  Appended to the article was a graph from another unnamed source which shows Wikipedia with 990,000,000 English language articles, and Britannica Online with 50,000,000.  Laying aside the copyright violation in this posting which is a whole different issue, you might be interested in viewing the article at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/weekinreview/16ncohen.html?pagewanted=1&sq=Start%20Writing%20the%20Eulogies%20for%20Print%20Encyclopedias&st=nyt&scp=1.
Next read http://lornali.com/seo/why-wikipedia-dominates-serps, especially the section "Wikipedia Proliferates Amateur Content."

**I appreciated Bill Goodrich alerting us to the Common Sense Media web site which reviews books.  I agree that I don't have time to read everything that I purchase for my library and need all the info I can when questioned about content.  In fact, I confess that I only read the first and last volume of the Harry Potter series - a fact for which one student is trying to blackmail me and complete heresy for a high school librarian to admit.  In fact, despite speed reading classes in college I am quite a slow reader and prefer to describe myself as one who savors each word!

I really liked the Related Books located at the bottom of each CSM Review and some have web links as well.

Have a nice Spring Break.  I hope yours is longer than the one day our district gave us this year.

Fawn
Layton High