[library-media] help a new librarian?

John Eye Eye at suu.edu
Thu Jan 24 10:02:55 MST 2008

Heather,

I'd like to preface this with the fact that I'm NOT an attorney so please don't take this as legal advice for you or your school.

But, given the information you have provided, I think there is very little risk involved with creating these booklets for students.  The only questionable aspect would be if you took a significant number of the poems from the same book and included them into the booklet.  Also, if you used the same poems to create this book year after year and year it would also increase the risk slightly.

To me, this is a low risk activity when it comes to copyright law.

John

Dr. John Eye
Assoc. Professor of Library Science
Sherratt Library
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, Utah 84720
435 865 8392 office
eye at suu.edu

>>> "htomlinson" <htomlinson at mountainvilleacademy.org> 1/23/2008 4:09 PM >>>
I've had a copyright question that the rest of you have probably faced many times.  Help, please!!!

The third grade is doing a poetry unit, and the teachers want to make copies, so each student can have a booklet of the poems they have memorized.  What are the 'rules' I should tell them about this?  Is it okay, as long as each poem comes from a different book?  Is there a limit to the length of the poem they copy?  Or do they have to check that each one is in public domain before they copy it?

What have you told your teachers when they decide to do this?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Heather Tomlinson
Mountainville Academy librarian