[library-media] help a new librarian?

htomlinson htomlinson at mountainvilleacademy.org
Wed Jan 23 16:09:43 MST 2008

I've had a copyright question that the rest of you have probably faced many times.  Help, please!!!

The third grade is doing a poetry unit, and the teachers want to make copies, so each student can have a booklet of the poems they have memorized.  What are the 'rules' I should tell them about this?  Is it okay, as long as each poem comes from a different book?  Is there a limit to the length of the poem they copy?  Or do they have to check that each one is in public domain before they copy it?

What have you told your teachers when they decide to do this?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Heather Tomlinson
Mountainville Academy librarian