[library-media] Award Books

Lanell Rabner lanell.rabner at nebo.edu
Wed Jan 23 07:18:14 MST 2008

Good morning to you all!

Donna, thanks for reminding us of how exciting
Librarianship is! And may I suggest a couple of ways we
can translate that "new book" excitement to our users.
First is through Book Talks at all levels - K thru 12. My
English teachers have started letting me Book Talk for
their classes in the Fall and the Spring and my
circulation has literally exploded. Once you successfully
recommend a book to a student, you will have them eating
out of your hand for more of the same. I also talk new
books to kids as they check their materials in or out.
It's amazing how many non-readers will start picking up a
book once they've had a successful book experience.

A second way to keep our readers enthused about books, is
rotating book displays with either new book purchases or a
themed display. I currently have two displays - 'Mystic
Reads - All things vampyre and other evils' and "For Boys
Only'. The displays include new, rather new and standard
favorites and the books literally fly off the shelf.

No rocket science here - just a love of books and kids and
a passion to put them together. Hope you all have a
wonderful day!

Lanell Rabner
Librarian
Springville High School