[library-media] Golden Compass book

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Thu Nov 8 15:42:33 MST 2007

Jane

Caryn gives some good advice.  For background see the following links.

Connie Kearl, Clearfield High teacher librarian, gave me the following link that likely started this major Internet controversy:  http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Check the FAQ section and the Writings Q&A at
http://www.philip-pullman.com.

When asked about any anti-God or anti-religion message in his Dark Materials he states, "I don't know whether there's a God or not. Nobody does, no matter what they say. I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away."

>>> "Jane Beckwith" <jane.beckwith at m.millard.k12.ut.us> 11/8/2007 3:25 PM >>>
Everyone,
I received a call asking me to remove the Golden Compass books by Philip Pullman. I thought that the issue had died but today I was told by the principal to stop circulating it.

It seems that there is an e-mail being sent to everyone saying that the book and the movie are touting atheist viewpoints and should be removed. My principal told me the superintendent wanted them off the shelf, even though neither one of them has read the series.

I haven't had much experience stopping this sort of action. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Jane Beckwith