[library-media] Chewed book

Margaret Mumford mmumford at dsdmail.net
Thu Oct 11 10:02:42 MDT 2007

Caryn- There is not a year that goes by that a book or two does not get chewed by a dog.  Pretty much no one wants to read it after that.  Usually the kids confess with embarrassment.  I go pretty easy on them, but they do have to pay the minimum for the replacement of the book, or maybe part of  the cost of a rebind.  A girl has already confessed that she dropped her book in the toilet.  She even brought it to me.  I charged her $4.00 for the paperback.  It was sort of a reward for being honest.  And I did throw the book away.

Margaret Mumford
Library, Bountiful Junior High
"Try to win the respect of intelligent people and the appreciation of your  critics."   Emerson

>>> Caryn McGinty <cgostlin at citlink.net> 10/11/2007 9:41 AM >>>
This is my second year in a library, and the first time this sort of
situation has come up. Just had a student return a book to me, and it
is in awful shape. It?s still readable and the binding is intact, but
it looks as if a dog got a hold of it because the sides have tooth
marks and a corner has been chewed off. I didn?t notice until the
student left, so I couldn?t say anything at the time. (I think she
left immediately with the hopes that I wouldn?t notice.) She?s a
freshman, so she?s fairly new to the school. How would you handle such
a situation? The book isn?t ruined, but it is severely scarred. I
don?t want to discourage her from checking out books from here, but at
the same time I want her to learn that she?s responsible for items she
borrows. I know that it was damaged in her care and that the book was
in near-perfect shape when she checked it out because I?m suggested it
to her in the first place and booktalked it to her. What would you do
in this circumstance? Let it go? Charge her for the book? Charge a
damage fee? Something else? By the way, this is at the high school
level.

Thanks!
Caryn
Moab, UT