[library-media] Question about Ironman by Crutcher

Debbie Naylor dnaylor@alpine.k12.ut.us
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:32:58 -0700

--=__PartC2E65C1A.2__=

If you have ever heard Chris Crutcher speak, he will be the first to tell =
you he loves it when his books are put on some banned lists. He likes =
writing about controversial issues but I could do without the profanity.  =
I enjoy his books and recommend them to students because of their social =
issue value.  A lot of my boy students like the sports aspect.  Interesting=
ly though, I didn't like his book ,The Sledding Hill, which is about =
censorship.  I luckily have never had a book challenged but I did find =
DRACULA with paper taped over the  picture on the front cover and censored =
written across it.  It had a nude woman.  I try to put an alert notice if =
it has profanity, violence or sexual content but I don't always catch it.  =
I have to read all the books from the Junior LIbrary Guild for that very =
reason.  I am not subscribing  again.   =20

>>> "Fawn Morgan" <fmorgan@dsdmail.net> 02/16/07 12:24 PM >>>
The F word is used repeatedly in Ironman but I have it on the shelf.  I =
have never had a book challenged but that is mostly by good luck.  I am =
about at my wits end trying to second guess what might be challenged vs. =
what is truly worthwhile to make available, what is mostly shock value vs. =
what is integral, what is within community standards vs. what is outside =
the bounds.   High school covers such a wide scope of maturity levels.  I =
would welcome general comments from our colleagues.

Fawn
Layton High

>>> "Paula Zsiray" <paula.zsiray@cache.k12.ut.us> 02/16/07 8:46 AM >>>
Has anyone had a problem with the book Ironman by Chris Crutcher?
I have the reviews, but it has come under question so I am looking for =
more
comments...

Thanks everyone.

Paula Z

=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8,,,,=F8=A4=BA=B0`=B0=BA=A4=F8,,,=F8

Paula Zsiray

Library Media Teacher

Mountain Crest High School

255 S. 800 East

Hyrum, UT   84319

voice:  435.245.6093, x310

fax:  435.245.3818

Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container. - Unknown

--=__PartC2E65C1A.2__=

   =20

If you have ever heard Chris = Crutcher speak, he will be the first to tell you he loves it when his = books are put on some banned lists. He likes writing about controversial = issues but I could do without the profanity.  I enjoy his books and = recommend them to students because of their social issue value.  A = lot of my boy students like the sports aspect.  Interestingly = though, I didn't like his book ,The Sledding Hill, which = is about censorship.  I luckily have never had a book challenged but = I did find DRACULA with paper taped over the  picture on the front = cover and censored written across it.  It had a nude woman.  I = try to put an alert notice if it has profanity, violence or sexual = content but I don't always catch it.  I have to read all the = books from the Junior LIbrary Guild for that very reason.  I am not = subscribing  again.

>>> = "Fawn Morgan" <fmorgan@dsdmail.net> 02/16/07 12:24 PM = >>>
The F word is used repeatedly in Ironman but I have it on = the shelf.  I have never had a book challenged but that is = mostly by good luck.  I am about at my wits end trying to second = guess what might be challenged vs. what is truly worthwhile to make = available, what is mostly shock value vs. what is integral, what = is within community standards vs. what is outside the bounds.  &n= bsp;High school covers such a wide scope of maturity levels.  I = would welcome general comments from our colleagues.

Fawn
Layton = High

>>> "Paula Zsiray" <paula.zsiray@cache.k1= 2.ut.us> 02/16/07 8:46 AM >>>
Has anyone had a problem with = the book Ironman by Chris Crutcher?
I have the reviews, but it = has come under question so I am looking for more
comments...

Than= ks everyone.

Paula Z