[library-media] SECOND RESPONSE

jan duane janduane@skaggscatholiccenter.org
Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:18:16 -0700

-------------7b7a99b044e7ad3bb58af498d1985f34

Hi,

Because a few of you could not open the attachment, the next section is =
included here.....Jan

Phyllis Hall
I forgot to mention the earplug issue.  If they are checking out a playa=
way or a CD player (for our audio books on CD) AND they don=E2=80=99t al=
ready have their own, we will furnish them one set.  We keep a list and =
check it so that they only get one set.=20

After that they are on their own.  I felt like it was a health issue to =
share earplugs.  I bought about 50 cheap little ones to give out.  We=E2=
=80=99re finding that most kids have their own that are much better than=
 ours so they usually opt to use their own.

Cindy Mitchell
1.  Where did you purchase them=3F=20
    Follett online

2.  What titles did you purchase=3F As many as were for young adults    =
=20
    about 20

3.  Do the students like using them=3F=20
    YES - but make them use their own headphones.  I only check them out=
 to our teachers and to our resource students to use     in class with a=
 copy of the novel, not to replace reading but to     enhance the readin=
g experience.=20

4.  Are they easily lost/broken=3F=20
    We have a big talk about returning them, but it is almost impossible=
 to break them - unless you run them over with a car or submerge them, I=
 guess

5. Any other points to consider=3F
    If you intend them for classroom use, don't bother with the     port=
able speakers - get two or three of the FM transmitters and then they wi=
ll work very well with any classroom radio

Sandy Barney
I was concerned about the earphone issue. The Follett rep recommended th=
at students provide their own earphones - most kinds will work in the Pl=
ayaways.  Follett sells them, too - about 50 for $39.  I am planning to =
order extras and then sell them for $1.00/pair if students want them.  I=
 don't want to worry about cleaning them - yuck!

It sounds like those who have tried them are pleased, so I'm going to se=
nd in my order soon.  I'll let you know how they work out for us.

CALL NUMBER and MATERIAL TYPE

I am using RTC for the call number and using the same catalog as a book =
on tape or CD.
-------------7b7a99b044e7ad3bb58af498d1985f34

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN'>

Hi,

Because a few of you could not open the attachment, the next = section is included here.....Jan

Phyllis Hall
I forgot= to mention the earplug issue.  If they are checking out a playaway= or a CD player (for our audio books on CD) AND they don=E2=80=99t alrea= dy have their own, we will furnish them one set.  We keep a list an= d check it so that they only get one set.

After that they are on= their own.  I felt like it was a health issue to share earplugs.&n= bsp; I bought about 50 cheap little ones to give out.  We=E2=80=99r= e finding that most kids have their own that are much better than ours s= o they usually opt to use their own.

Cindy Mitchell
1.&nbs= p; Where did you purchase them=3F
    Follett online<= br>
2.  What titles did you purchase=3F As many as were for youn= g adults
    about 20

3.&nb= sp; Do the students like using them=3F
    YES - but = make them use their own headphones.  I only check them out to our t= eachers and to our resource students to use     in class = with a copy of the novel, not to replace reading but to   &nbs= p; enhance the reading experience.

=