[library-media] FW: Web Page Sites

M G Durrant mgd@ucet.org
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:03:31 -0700

Sherry,

I looked at your library links document and have a few suggestions.

First, the URL for the state office has changed. While
http://www.usoe.k12.ut.us will still work, the current and preferred URL
is http://www.schools.utah.gov.

Second, I question whether AltaVista, Yahoo, and Google (or any other
general search engine) should appear in
any list of sites to be used for research. They are broad search engines,
and as a librarian I am sure that you know that the accuracy and
reliability of the results they produce can seldom be verified. A better
resource might be http://scholar.google.com, but even better would be to
emphasize the research resources available through Pioneer, particularly
the SIRS resources for elementary and middle school kids, and the EBSCO
resources for older students.

I also question why your last URL, http://www.foxnews.com would be
considered a "useful resource" as opposed to any other news outlet. A
much better resource would http://news.google.com which give a full page
of links to news from sources around the world, including, but not
limited to Fox News.

Thanks for your eyeball time.

M Guy Durrant, M.Ed.
Technology Director (and Pioneer Advocate)
Daggett School District