[library-media] RE: Library books

Fawn Morgan fmorgan@dsdmail.net
Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:10:00 -0600

This is a classic ESL question.  If you recommend a series, author,
publisher or vendor that provides books for secondary level
Hi-Lo ESL, you will respond to the entire listserv.  Finding Hi-Lo
books isn't difficult but I find that if the cover illustrations aren't
focused toward teens they will be put off.

I have been buying graphic novels/non-fiction to meet the needs of ESL
students.  If this at all meets the need go to World Almanac Education
at http://WADbooks.com

Fawn Morgan
Layton High

>>> "Karen Mcbride" <karen.mcbride@cache.k12.ut.us> 10/09/06 9:30 AM

Anyone out there in library land that could help with this problem?  If
so I
would like to hear from you.  Thanks, Karen McBride
karen.mcbride@cache.k12.ut.us

Dear Karen,
How are things at Wellsville Elementary School?  Gay sent us your
email
addresses because we need your expertise. We are at Vaiola School in
Savaii,
Samoa. The principal has asked us to help in two ways:
help them decide what books to order for their library.  Apparently it
is
the end of their fiscal year and they need to spend the money NOW.
They have the old modern classics, but they don't have anything recent.
think they would prefer to order paperbacks because of the weight and
postage.

These students (ages 12 to 19) are reading in English, but it is their
2nd
language.  Thus, their reading abilities are far behind their interest
level.  So stories that are easy to read, but will be interesting to
older
students is what we want.  We know you have an elementary school
library,
but I think we would want books that your older students like.

They have a remedial reading program for those kids who really don't
know
English yet and they are looking for some "fun" books they could use
with
them in a class.  Any ideas?

Any list you could send us would be appreciated.  Just give us names
you
think of-----please don't take a long time researching lists for us.
We
just want to know what you would suggest.

It is hard to believe it is getting cold there.  We are moving into
summer
and it is getting hotter!  We miss Wellsville and Cache Valley, but
are
having an amazing experience.  We hope we are doing some good!  With
love,
E/S Boyce-----Rich and Glenna