[library-media] Collection holes

Cindy Mitchell cindy.mitchell@jordan.k12.ut.us
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:35:36 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C62BC9.D95C3F00

A couple of months ago I did a survey of my teachers to find out what =
subjects they are researching with their students, whether they use the =
library for that research or not.  Then I took the list and poure =
through catalogs and databases looking for appropriately leveled books =
to support that research.  AS I did, I found some big holes in what is =
available for schools and research.

For example - there is almost not much to support research about Germany =
for our German language teacher - Hitler yes, classic composers yes, =
books about the country in general yes, but not much about modern famous =
poeple or specifics about the country.  I ran into the same thing with =
our French teacher and even with our Spanish teacher. =20

As I dug further, I found other holes where teachers wanted information, =
but there just aren't books out there at the middle or high school =
level.  Are you having a similar experience?  Do you have specific books =
that teachers want in the library, research that they want their =
students to do, but you can't support it with books at the right level?

If you would tell me specifically what you are looking for and at what =
level, I am going to compile the list and share it with publishers so =
they can see what we need, not just what they want to sell us.

Thanks!

Cindy Mitchell
Library Teacher
South Jordan Middle School
10245 S 2700 W
South Jordan UT  84095
801-412-2917
UELMA President Elect
http://www.sjms.jordan.k12.ut.us/MediaCenter/corner.htm

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C62BC9.D95C3F00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A couple of months ago I did a survey =
of my=20
teachers to find out what subjects they are researching with their =
students,=20
whether they use the library for that research or not.&nbsp; Then I took =
the=20
list and poure through catalogs and databases looking for appropriately =
leveled=20
books to support that research.&nbsp; AS I did, I found some big holes =
in what=20
is available for schools and research.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For example - there is almost not =
much&nbsp;to=20
support research about Germany for our German language teacher - Hitler =
yes,=20
classic composers yes, books about the country in general yes, but not =
much=20
about modern famous poeple or specifics about the country.&nbsp; I ran =
into the=20
same thing with our French teacher and even with our Spanish =
teacher.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As I dug further, I found other holes =
where=20
teachers wanted information, but there just aren't books out there at =
the middle=20
or high school level.&nbsp; Are you having a similar experience?&nbsp; =
Do you=20
have specific books that teachers want in the library, research that =
they want=20
their students to do, but you can't support it with books at the right=20
level?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If you would tell me specifically what =
you are=20
looking for and at what level, I am going to compile the list and share =
it with=20
publishers so they can see what we need, not just what they want to sell =

us.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Cindy Mitchell<BR>Library =
Teacher<BR>South Jordan=20
Middle School<BR>10245 S 2700 W<BR>South Jordan UT&nbsp;=20
84095<BR>801-412-2917<BR>UELMA President Elect<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.sjms.jordan.k12.ut.us/MediaCenter/corner.htm">http://w=
ww.sjms.jordan.k12.ut.us/MediaCenter/corner.htm</A><BR></FONT></DIV></BOD=