[library-media] FW: AMLA Hurricane Curriculum

Loutensock, Georgia Georgia.Loutensock@schools.utah.gov
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:20:33 -0600

 FYI  This is a reliable resource.  Hope this is helpful at this time.
gml

-----Original Message-----
From: amla@ccicrosby.com [mailto:amla@ccicrosby.com]=20
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 8:11 AM
To: Loutensock, Georgia
Subject: AMLA Hurricane Curriculum

"Bringing Hurricane Katrina into the Classroom: Media Literacy Lessons
and Activities"
A Media Literacy Teachers Guide on Hurricane Katrina Coverage

September 8, 2005

The AMLA has created a free, downloadable media literacy lesson and
activity guide that offers a starting place for educators who want to
help students analyze, understand, and cope with media coverage of
Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. The guide is also a useful
discussion tool for members of the media, community groups, and adult
study groups. http://www.amlainfo.org/hurricane

*********** MORE INFO ***********

This past week, instead of tuning in to typical back-to-school stories,
we witnessed the devastation created by Hurricane Katrina.  Across the
country and around the world, we learned about the disaster, its causes,
and its effects almost exclusively through media. But how did these
media depictions affect our understanding of the events leading up to
and after the hurricane? Whose stories were not told, and whose biases
were represented?

The AMLA has created a media literacy lesson and activity guide that
offers a starting place for educators who want to help students analyze,
understand, and cope with Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. "Bringing
Hurricane Katrina Into the Classroom: Media Literacy Lessons and
Activities" includes lessons such as Editorial Decision-Making, Looking
at Language, and Taking Action, plus dozens of links to alternative news
sources, commentary, and media comparisons.

This free, downloadable guide is available on the AMLA website at
http://www.amlainfo.org/hurricane. An expanded and interactive version,
including a bulletin board for sharing thoughts and reactions, will be
posted on September 15th, when the new AMLA website launches.=20

In just a few days, the response to these AMLA materials has been
overwhelmingly positive. Take a look and forward this email to friends,
colleagues, and listservs.  Revisit the website after September 15th
when a revised version will be available-we invite you to post your
comments.

"Bringing Hurricane Katrina into the Classroom: Media Literacy Lessons
and Activities"
http://www.amlainfo.org/hurricane

=20
 For information on or to join the AMLA go to http://www.AMLAinfo.org=20