[library-media] FW: Re: State Funding for Libraries

Loutensock, Georgia GLoutens@usoe.k12.ut.us
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:14:54 -0700

Good stuff.  Thanks to Fawn and Robert.  gml

-----Original Message-----
From: Fawn Morgan [mailto:fmorgan@dsdmail.net]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 1:09 PM
To: nan@nsanpete.k12.ut.us; Loutensock, Georgia
Cc: cindy.mitchell@jordan.k12.ut.us; shuff@m.rhs.jordan.k12.ut.us
Subject: Fwd: Re: State Funding for Libraries

Georgia, Nan,

I am forwarding an e-mail sent to the Davis SLMTA (secondary
librarians).  Bob is the library media teacher at Northridge High and
gives permission to use  this letter as needed.   So if you want to send
it to the lobbying group or to the listserv with the direction to
contact legislators on personal time, it's a viewpoint from both sides
of the tracks.  If you want to edit it I assume that would be ok with
him, too, but you might want to check.  His e-mail is in his signature.

Fawn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>> Robert Bingham 02/04/05 11:18 AM >>>

Most of you know I worked for nearly 20 years in the public libraries
and have said on occasion that they seemed to have plenty of book
budget, or should I say adequate, for the public libraries. I worked at
large and small branches so I have a pretty good perspective on what
goes on there.

The fact is, the state librarian camps down there on capitol hill while
the legislature is in session.  I don't see the same intensity for the
school library funding.  I go to public library sales and buy books that
I need that they don't have room for.  This is a big issue, public
libraries have to do some serious weeding to make room for their large
budgets.  The public libraries are packed with school students after
school looking for things they couldn't find at their school library.
Walk into any public library between the hours of 2:30 and 5:30 and
you'll see students trying to get homework done that they couldn't do at
school.  You can't blame students for this because they are motivated to
be successful.  I would dare say public libraries have upwards of 10
times the book budgets we do.  We were proud of the fact that we had a
book for someone well over 90% of the time.  Students get really
disgusted with the school libraries because they can't find what they
need and go over to the public libraries.  I'm talking about titles from
teacher's lists that we can't afford to buy.

The risk of students doing their homework etc. at the public libraries
is they won't have any advisement and will checkout many things that are
not appropriate to their needs for school.  Some students are getting
very graphic novels and inappropriate materials for their age and
reading levels and are having problems with their parents about what
they read.  Students under the age of 18 are at risk at the public
libraries. The school librarians are the experts to advise and direct
student research needs.  They are familiar with teachers assignments and
work in a direct backup role with the teacher.  School librarians are
certified teachers first, in a least two subjects, and therefore are in
the best position after class to help students.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out a few thoughts about this annual
matter.

Thanks, Bob

Robert Bingham, B-206
Chair, Library Media