[library-media] Copyright Expert

jean truman jean.truman@iron.k12.ut.us
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:10:57 -0700

I have been following the dialogue on movie
licensing and wanted to add my two cents
worth. We purchase a copyright compliance site
license from Movie Licensing USA each year.
The cost is $375 per year. We feel this is a
great bargain, and much cheaper than a
lawsuit.  We show movies for homecoming,
senior night, grad night, etc., and for
fundraisers.  This is our understanding of the
legal aspects of the site license: We can
charge admittance until our profits reach the
$375 we initially paid. Sometimes as a
"ticket," we have asked students to bring a
donation of canned food for charity, or pay
$1.00 for popcorn. This is legally acceptable,
as explained to me by a Movie Licensing USA
representative.
Jean Truman/ Media Teacher
Canyon View High School
Cedar City

    ------------------------
  On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:41:34 -0700
  "John Eye" <Eye@suu.edu> wrote:

  >I'm curious what the price is.  Do you
know?

<susan.huff@jordan.k12.ut.us>

  >We have a license like that for our school.
  > It covers the movies the
  >student body officers or clubs  show that
  >are NOT face to face
  >classroom
  >instruction.  You still cannot charge for
  >the activity.  I believe that
  >
  >every high school in our district has this
  >license.
  >Susan Huff

someone
  >>knowledgeable in
  >copyright
  >> since it sounds like their organization
  >>profits from the myth that
  >"home
  >> movies" cannot be used in classroom
  >>situations.  The copyright law
  >> allows use of "home use only" or other
such
  >>resources as long as
  >it's
  >> used in a face to face teaching
situation,
  >>not as entertainment or as
  >> reward.  School districts that subscribe
  >>these licensing services,
  >in
  >> my opinion, are throwing their money away
  >>unless they have a whole
  >lot
  >> of parties.
  >>
  >> Just my 2 cents worth.
  >>
  >> John
  >>

  >> Dr. John Eye
  >> Asst. Professor of Instructional Media
  >> Sherratt Library
  >> Southern Utah University
  >> Cedar City, Utah 84720
  >> 435 865 8392 office
  >> eye@suu.edu

  >> I have received a request for the name of
  >>someone with copyright
  >> expertise in the state.  The request
  >>follows. Please reply to me and
  >> will pass on the information.  Thanks.
  >>
  >> Fawn Morgan
  >>
  >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  >>
  >> Our company, Movie Licensing USA is a
  >>division of Swank Motion
  >> Pictures, Inc.  Swank is the
non-theatrical
  >>distributor and licensor
  >> for
  >> most of the major motion picture studios,
  >>and has been for over 60
  >> years.  We provide legal access through a
  >>single license to almost
  >> every
  >> entertainment movie available in any
video
  >>store or sales catalog,
  >> licensed for "Home Use Only".  Movies
from:
  >>Walt Disney Pictures,
  >> Warner Bros., Touchstone Pictures,
  >>Hollywood Pictures, Columbia
  >> Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Paramount
  >>Pictures, Universal Studios,
  >> DreamWorks Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer,
  >>Sony and United Artists
  >are
  >> all yours to show legally when your
school
  >>has the license.
  >>
  >> I was hoping that you could give me the
  >>name of a copyright
  >authority
  >> for your state.  Someone who is
designated
  >>to answer questions or
  >> concerns that Utah school librarians may
  >>have on copyright.  Some
  >> states
  >> that we talk to like Texas and Florida
have