[library-media] Copyright Expert

John Eye Eye@suu.edu
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:41:34 -0700

I'm curious what the price is.  Do you know?

John Eye

>>> "Susan Huff" <susan.huff@jordan.k12.ut.us> 11/8/2004 8:08:37 AM
We have a license like that for our school.  It covers the movies the 
student body officers or clubs  show that are NOT face to face
instruction.  You still cannot charge for the activity.  I believe that

every high school in our district has this license.
Susan Huff
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John Eye" <Eye@suu.edu>
To: <library-media@uen.org>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: [library-media] Copyright Expert

> It's ironic this company would want someone knowledgeable in
> since it sounds like their organization profits from the myth that
> movies" cannot be used in classroom situations.  The copyright law
> allows use of "home use only" or other such resources as long as
> used in a face to face teaching situation, not as entertainment or as
> reward.  School districts that subscribe to these licensing services,
> my opinion, are throwing their money away unless they have a whole
> of parties.
> Just my 2 cents worth.
> John
> Dr. John Eye
> Asst. Professor of Instructional Media
> Sherratt Library
> Southern Utah University
> Cedar City, Utah 84720
> 435 865 8392 office
> eye@suu.edu 
>>>> "Fawn Morgan" <fmorgan@dsdmail.net> 11/5/2004 3:19:18 PM >>>
> I have received a request for the name of someone with copyright
> expertise in the state.  The request follows. Please reply to me and
> will pass on the information.  Thanks.
> Fawn Morgan
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Our company, Movie Licensing USA is a division of Swank Motion
> Pictures, Inc.  Swank is the non-theatrical distributor and licensor
> for
> most of the major motion picture studios, and has been for over 60
> years.  We provide legal access through a single license to almost
> every
> entertainment movie available in any video store or sales catalog,
> licensed for "Home Use Only".  Movies from: Walt Disney Pictures,
> Warner Bros., Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Columbia
> Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios,
> DreamWorks Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Sony and United Artists
> all yours to show legally when your school has the license.
> I was hoping that you could give me the name of a copyright
> for your state.  Someone who is designated to answer questions or
> concerns that Utah school librarians may have on copyright.  Some
> states
> that we talk to like Texas and Florida have specific individuals who
> they can go to with copyright issues.  This could be someone that
> know of in your state who might do some public speaking or writes
> articles on the subject.
> Any information you could provide would be helpful.  Thanks so much
> for
> your time.
> Kristi Hensley
> Copyright Licensing Manager
> Movie Licensing USA
> 1-877-321-1300
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Fawn Morgan                 fmorgan@dsdmail.net 
> Library Media Teacher, Head Librarian, Jr. Class Advisor, Realms
> UELMA President           http://uelma.org 
> Layton High School, 440 Wasatch Drive, Layton, Utah  84041
> Voice 801-402-4996 Fax 801-402-4801

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> _______________________________________________
> library-media mailing list
> library-media@uen.org 
> http://lists.uen.org/mailman/listinfo/library-media 
> _______________________________________________
> library-media mailing list
> library-media@uen.org 
> http://lists.uen.org/mailman/listinfo/library-media