[library-media] Copyright Expert

John Eye Eye@suu.edu
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:05:16 -0700

It's ironic this company would want someone knowledgeable in copyright
since it sounds like their organization profits from the myth that "home
movies" cannot be used in classroom situations.  The copyright law
allows use of "home use only" or other such resources as long as it's
used in a face to face teaching situation, not as entertainment or as a
reward.  School districts that subscribe to these licensing services, in
my opinion, are throwing their money away unless they have a whole lot
of parties.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John

Dr. John Eye
Asst. Professor of Instructional Media
Sherratt Library
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, Utah 84720
435 865 8392 office
eye@suu.edu

>>> "Fawn Morgan" <fmorgan@dsdmail.net> 11/5/2004 3:19:18 PM >>>
I have received a request for the name of someone with copyright
expertise in the state.  The request follows. Please reply to me and I
will pass on the information.  Thanks.

Fawn Morgan

Our company, Movie Licensing USA is a division of Swank Motion
Pictures, Inc.  Swank is the non-theatrical distributor and licensor
for
most of the major motion picture studios, and has been for over 60
years.  We provide legal access through a single license to almost
every
entertainment movie available in any video store or sales catalog,
licensed for "Home Use Only".  Movies from: Walt Disney Pictures,
Warner Bros., Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Columbia
Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios,
DreamWorks Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Sony and United Artists are
all yours to show legally when your school has the license.

I was hoping that you could give me the name of a copyright authority
for your state.  Someone who is designated to answer questions or
concerns that Utah school librarians may have on copyright.  Some
states
that we talk to like Texas and Florida have specific individuals who
they can go to with copyright issues.  This could be someone that you
know of in your state who might do some public speaking or writes
articles on the subject.

Any information you could provide would be helpful.  Thanks so much
for
your time.

Kristi Hensley
Copyright Licensing Manager
Movie Licensing USA
1-877-321-1300

Fawn Morgan                 fmorgan@dsdmail.net
Library Media Teacher, Head Librarian, Jr. Class Advisor, Realms Club
UELMA President           http://uelma.org

Layton High School, 440 Wasatch Drive, Layton, Utah  84041
Voice 801-402-4996 Fax 801-402-4801   http://163.6.5.36/webs/fmorgan/