[library-media] Pioneer Trial for October - Visual Thesaurus

Rick Cline RCLINE@media.utah.edu
Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:55:39 -0600

Hello everyone,

Once again, we will be trialing a variety of products throughout the
school year. For the month of October we will be looking at VISUAL
THESAURUS.

The Visual Thesaurus is a 3-D, interactive thesaurus and dictionary
that presents unique word displays, literal maps of the English
Language. Users of the Visual Thesaurus search for a word and are
rewarded with a rich graphical display of the word connected to meanings
and other words. The user clicks on other words or meanings, and can
follow a trail based on his or her interests.

The exploration of language becomes an educational journey, and along
the way, users at any level of language proficiency find words and
meanings that they had not seen before nor expected. The process of
searching becomes a reward in itself, thus encouraging exploration above
and beyond the bounds of traditional textbook or reference book
"research."

To participate in the trial, go to: http://pioneer.uen.org , then click
on the "Visual Thesaurus" link located at the lower right-hand side of
the screen.

- Rick

__________________________
Richard W. Cline
Utah Education Network
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-1792
(801) 585-0913
(800) 866-5852 toll free
(801) 585-6105 fax
rcline@uen.org
"Forget about counting to 10. Count to 1,000  before doing or saying
anything that could make some matters worse." Hope Health Letter (1990)