[library-media] Update re: Pioneer Library for 2004-05
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:03:04 -0600
Please note the following items regarding Pioneer, Utah's Online
Library for 2004-05:
1) The Pioneer Library Subcommittee recently awarded EBSCO and SIRS a
four-year statewide contract. The SIRS product will stay the same;
however, EBSCO will have six additional databases, including:
Academic Search Premier
- contains indexing for 8,050 publications, with full text for more
than 4,600 of those titles in areas including biology, chemistry,
education, engineering, humanities, physics, psychology, religion &
theology, sociology, etc.
- contains nearly 350 full text journals and magazines covering
topics such as computer science, programming, artificial intelligence,
cybernetics, information systems, robotics, and software.
- contains full text for more than 250 scholarly law journals and
information on current issues, studies, thoughts and trends of the legal
Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
- contains information concerning topics in emotional and behavioral
characterictics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes,
anthropology, and observational & experimental methods.
Religion & Philosophy collection
- contains information on world religions, major denominations,
biblical studies, religious history, epistemology, political philosophy,
philosophy of language, moral philosophy, and the history of
Vocational & Career Collection
- contains nearly 400 trade and industry-related periodicals.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NEWLY ADDED EBSCO DATABASES WILL NOT BE
IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE. WE ANTICIPATE ACCESS WITHIN THE NEXT 10 DAYS.
2) Schools, districts, and/or persons interested in receiving training
on the above newly added databases, please e-mail email@example.com.
3) World Book Online, CultureGrams, and Deseret News Archvies have been
renewed for this coming school year 2004-05. Wilson Biographies has not
4) The K-12 Pioneer web page has recently been revised (see
5) The Utah K-12 educator and student home access information has
6) A subcommittee has been assembled to develop a statewide promotion
plan for Pioneer. This will be a collaborative effort between K-12
public and private schools, higher ed, and the pubic libraries. Stay
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me
via e-mail or phone.
Richard W. Cline
Utah Education Network
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-1792
(800) 866-5852 toll free
(801) 585-6105 fax
"Forget about counting to 10. Count to 1,000 before doing or saying
anything that could make some matters worse." Hope Health Letter (1990)