[library-media] (Not technically) Blog 2 - UELMA

Fawn Morgan fmorgan@dsdmail.net
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:38:32 -0700

UELMA Board - Inside Report
Blog 2 (Written from a library climate of 62 degrees and falling -- just
part of our yearly furnace fight. Things were cold last week but at
least I was able to wear extra layers in my Contessa-the-she-pirate
costume**.)

The newest Information Searcher newsletter* just arrived in time to
explain that my insider reports aren't exactly blogs. Web logs or
"blogs" are actually diary type notes posted on to a website which is
frequently updated. The postings are usually listed in chronological
order. There are several worthwhile education blogs available. You might
want to check out one of the following library-specific blogs:
Library Stuff at http://librarystuff.net
or the Shifted Librarian at http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com    Enjoy!

Insider Stuff:
At the summer retreat Burke made us work! We brainstormed goals and
objectives for the meetings in the coming year and discussed the purpose
of UELMA and the UELMA board. We decided that the UELMA board is to
1. Act as a think tank
2. Focus direction
3. Stimulate connections
4. Realistically select goals
5. Think outside of the box

Ok, I decide that I can think tank with the best of them. The problem
comes with following through for the support of Utah school librarians.
In our September meeting Burke wants to know how our committee
assignments are progressing.  I have already begun to make connections.
Georgia has passed on a lengthy spreadsheet listing all the known
schools and librarians in the state. I decide that I will attempt to
locate e-mail addresses and web site URLs. How can we connect when we
don't even know who we are?

I have an update list from Jordan School District with e-mail addresses.
 I also have the addresses and names for Davis High.  All the others
have gaping holes despite combining Georgia's list and helps from UEN
plus a bazillion hours searching the Internet. I would love it if you
would send me an updated list by e-mail or snail mail for your district.
Please help me connect!

Thanks
Fawn

*E-mail me if you would like to know more about this newsletter.
** I gave away a Pirates of the Caribbean poster to the person who won
my research contest. Two female pirate novels to add to your high school
collection are Grania by Morgan Llewelyn and Pirates! by Celia Rees.

Fawn Morgan
Library Media Teacher, Head Librarian, Jr. Class Advisor, Realms Club

Layton High School
440 Wasatch Drive,
Layton, Utah  84041
Voice 801-402-4996 Fax 801-402-4800