[library-media] Summer Workshop information

Paula Zsiray pzsiray@mail.mtwest.net
Sun, 26 May 2002 09:36:58 -0500

Utah State University Workshop

Course Title: Teaching Media Literacy: Essential Skills in our Media Age

Date: June 10-14
Time: 8-4:30 Mon through Thurs; 8:30-12:00 on Friday
Location: EDUC 272
Credits: 2-3
Course: INST 5750-008, 13118
INST 6750-008, 13119
Special fee: $30.

American children spend approximately 30 hours per week watching
television. They are constantly bombarded with messages about violence,
consumerism, body image, and lifestyles. It is important that they learn
how to question and analyze the messages they are receiving in order to
make wise choices They need to become "media literate. Techniques and
activities for teaching media literacy to students K-12 will be introduced
covering the picture book to MTV. We will analyze videos, ads,
documentaries, movie clips, etc, This class is guaranteed to be fast-paced,
thought provoking and highly relevant in our media age.

Participants will learn how to view the media with healthy skepticism, and
how to teach media literacy skills to students. They will also learn about
the national movement to stop marketing violence to children, and about the
effects of media advertising and media violence, especially as it related
to children.

Instructor: Linda Bettinger is employed as a Library Media Teacher in the
Cache County School District and has worked in education for twenty-six
years. She has taught Media Literacy in the Intermountain Area for eight
years to her elementary students and for USU and the Utah State Office of
Education.