[library-media] School - Community Libraries

FMORGAN Fmorgan@admin.lhs.davis.k12.ut.us
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:38:00 -0600

Dear School Librarians

I have another request for information regarding joint-based libraries
but first a long-ago promised report:

Last year I queried our group asking for information about
accreditation information, promising to send a summary.  I asked
how many adult librarians your school had and how much money
was allocated on an on-going basis.  Your answers were all over
the board.  Reported funding ranged from around $2 to $10 per
student.  Staffing reports varied wildly also from 1/2 to 2 full time
adults.  I appreciate Georgia's efforts to receive this data from the
additional questions required on the yearly accreditation report.
Hopefully, a clearer picture will presented to the public. I'll be at the
Accreditation library media workshop November 2 and look forward
to seeing you there.

Now to the request.  Help!!! We, in Davis District, need your imput
ASAP. Davis School District is seriously considering combining
library facilities for a high school of 2,300 students and a city of
21,000 citizens.  The two entities would share funding of a new
building while maintaining separate collections.  The two libraries
would be housed on separate floors.

Do any of you know of localities where this shared arrangement
has been tried?  What were the results? Our secondary
organization must make a presentation Wednesday, October 24th.

Thanks for all you do in behalf of kids.

Fawn Morgan
Library Media Teacher     fmorgan@admin.lhs.davis.k12.ut.us
Layton High School        phone 801-402-4800
440 Wasatch Drive         fax  801-402-8801
Layton, Utah  84041