[Gis] GIS Day Invitation

Jessica Anderson janderson at uen.org
Tue Sep 11 13:28:00 MDT 2012

Hello educators. It is time to sign up for GIS Day again. This year we are going to try and make the event better for the students and the teachers. If you are an elementary school teacher, we are inviting you to sign up your class or several teachers can sign up a complete 4th 5th or 6th grade from your school to come to the Miller Campus and learn about geospatial technology.

Things will be different at the Miller Campus.  We will have chairs set up for the students in each of the different areas of learning.  There will be 110 chairs in each area, (this may affect how many you bring at a certain time). The second thing that changed is the dates.  GIS Day this year will be on Monday November 26 and Wednesday November 28.  Both days will be for elementary students.  We, the UGIC Education Committee thought this would work better.  We plan to have prizes for the students, giveaways, and a mapping project for each teacher to take back to the classroom and start working on when they arrive back at school.  We plan to have more interaction with the students.

For those of you who are teaching in the secondary schools, we haven’t forgotten you.  After two years of inviting secondary students to the Miller Campus, the Committee thought it would better suit the secondary students if we came to them.  If you teach a class or your class is part of a grade which would like to learn about geospatial technology, we invite you to contact us to set up a date when we, the presenters, will come to your school.  We will then be able to present age appropriate presentations to the students.

We would like to be able to do many of these presentations to the secondary schools as in the school year 2013/14 in the CTE/IT program there will be a new “Introduction to GIS” class.  This will be a concurrent enrollment class with the “Beginning GIS” course at the Salt Lake Community College. We are also looking for teachers who would like to go through the endorsement courses during the upcoming year so they can teach this new class.

We hope we will hear from many of you.  We would love to have every slot filled for the elementary students and present at many of the secondary schools in the Salt Lake area.  Attached, you will find the invitations describing the event.  Again there will be “bus grants”, but there will stricter rules that we all have to follow.  UGIC now funds three different GIS Day events throughout the state.

Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

Cindy

--
Cindy Clark
GIS Analyst and training coordinator