[Gis] Fw: GIS DAY

pat.lambrose pat.lambrose@slc.k12.ut.us
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:52:49 -0700

------=OPENWEBMAIL_ATT_0.905386190469475

More great ideas for GIS....
When polling Montana ArcView Teachers about GIS day, I received the
following.

Reed Kuennen develop an ArcView lesson on habitats for our Colleen
Sullivan's
advanced biology class (Whitefish High School, Whitefish, MT) and
they used
it in late October. I got data from the Forest Service for the Miller
Creek
Experimental Forest north of Whitefish. I made a map of the analysis
area
showing: 1) big game thermal cover, hiding cover, and forage areas,
2) successional
stages (such as old growth habitat), and 3) fire history. The
students analyzed
the current condition of the habitat and then used the forest service
guidelines on the desired future condition to decide whether logging
or fire would be
of benefit to wildlife in the future. About 50 students went out to
the area
to visit the habitats and record observations of wildlife sign. They
also
measured trees diameters, numbers, heights and disease in plots
within the old
growth habitat and compared it to the shrub/seedling habitat.

Jeff Crews of University of Montana reports that:
We are working with Hellgate elementary and their 5th grade classes.
Each of
the four classes has one if not many community-based problems they
are hoping
to solve with the help of GIS.  We will also be holding a
parent/public night
at the school to help parents understand the importance of GIS in
community
planning, as well as other areas.
We have chosen a different school each year and spend the entire day
and
evening their working with teachers and students to help engage them
in the use of
spatial data.
EdPARC will be holding their annual meeting next week in Moscow
Idaho.  The
purpose is to review two Cases Studies that are about ready for
distribution.
Leafy Spurge Invasion Rangeland Case Study and Role Play Scenario is
being
distributed.  The Precision Farming Case Study will be distributed
soon after the
meeting.  The group will be discussing what future workshops and
activities
should be developed to advance GIS in schools.
Van Shelhamer
Montana Ed PARC Coordinator
416 Morrow Street
Bozeman, MT59715
406.579.3367
If you are eating you are involved in agriculture.

Pat Lambrose                       Technology Facilitator: K-12
Salt Lake City School District         Phone:  (801) - 578-8279
440 East 100 South                     Fax:    (801) - 578-8272
Salt Lake City, UT  84111     Email: pat.lambrose@slc.k12.ut.us
Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself-
(Chinese Proverb)

------=OPENWEBMAIL_ATT_0.905386190469475

<HTML xmlns><HEAD>

</HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff=
ff">
<DIV>When polling Montana ArcView Teachers about GIS day, I received the fo=
llowing.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Reed Kuennen&nbsp;develop an ArcView lesson on habitats for our Collee=
n Sullivan's advanced biology class (Whitefish High School, Whitefish, MT) =
and they used it in late October. I got data from the Forest Service for th=
e Miller Creek Experimental Forest north of Whitefish. I made a map of the =
analysis area showing: 1) big game thermal cover, hiding cover, and forage =
areas, 2) successional stages (such as old growth habitat), and 3) fire his=
tory. The students analyzed the current condition of the habitat and then u=
sed the forest service guidelines on the desired future condition to decide=
 whether logging or fire would be of benefit to wildlife in the future. Abo=
ut 50 students went out to the area to visit the habitats and record observ=
ations of wildlife sign. They also measured trees diameters, numbers, heigh=
ts and disease in plots within the old growth habitat and compared it to th=
e shrub/seedling habitat. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jeff Crews of University of Montana reports that:=20
<P class=3D"MsoNormal"><FONT size=3D"2" face=3D"Arial"><SPAN style=3D"FONT-=
SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><FONT color=3D"#000000">We are=
 working with Hellgate elementary and their 5<SUP>th</SUP> grade classes.<S=
PAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Each of the four classes has =
one if not many community-based problems they are hoping to solve with the =
help of GIS. <SPAN style=3D"mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>We will also be=
 holding a parent/public night at the school to help parents understand the=
 importance of GIS in community planning, as well as other areas.<O></O:P><=
/FONT></SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=3D"MsoNormal"><FONT size=3D"2" color=3D"#400040" face=3D"Arial"><S=
PAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We have chos=
en a different school each year and spend the entire day and evening their =
working with teachers and students to help engage them in the use of spatia=
l data.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P class=3D"MsoNormal"><FONT size=3D"2" color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial"><S=
PAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">EdPARC will =
be holding their annual meeting next week in Moscow Idaho.&nbsp; The purpos=
e is to review two Cases Studies that are about ready for distribution.&nbs=
p; Leafy Spurge Invasion Rangeland Case Study and Role Play Scenario is bei=
ng distributed.&nbsp; The Precision Farming Case Study will be distributed =
soon after the meeting.&nbsp; The group will be discussing what future work=
shops and activities should be developed to advance GIS in schools.</SPAN><=
/FONT></P>
<P class=3D"MsoNormal"><FONT PTSIZE=3D"10" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" size=3D"2" =
face=3D"Arial" lang=3D"0">Van Shelhamer</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT PTSIZE=3D"10" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" size=3D"2" face=3D"Arial" lan=
g=3D"0">Montana Ed PARC Coordinator<BR>416 Morrow Street<BR>Bozeman, MT5971=
5<BR>406.579.3367<BR>If you are eating you are involved in agriculture.</FO=