[Gis] Fw: My GIS program

pat.lambrose pat.lambrose@slc.k12.ut.us
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:51:26 -0700

------=OPENWEBMAIL_ATT_0.891480037317709

Hi,

I am a science teacher at a small Montana school.  We teach GIS as a
separate class, then encourage the students to use that skill to
enhance
projects as well as create visuals, etc.  My students learn skills as
part of an exploratory project.  The choose a spatial theme --
location
of snowmobile races, NasCar tracks, Fort Peck Reservoir, documenting a
trip-- then demonstrate the skills they learn in their projects.  The
students love to make projects individualistic, so they push to learn
skills that will make their project stand out.

I teach the intro class in 3.2a, then introduce 8.3 to the
intermediate
and advanced classes.  I have found that ArcGIS, though more powerful
and user friendly, is much more resource intensive.  It slows the
computers considerably and tends to lock them up and boot the students
out of the program much more often than 3.2a.  I would rather they
learn
on the older program so that it doesn't frustrate them too much before
they develop a fondness for it.

The students have carried the skills over to science classes as well
as
English and History classes by preparing visual aides for their
projects
using 3.2a.  One of my students is even looking for colleges with a
GIS
major.

Mariann Prewett
Opheim Schools
Montana

Pat Lambrose                       Technology Facilitator: K-12
Salt Lake City School District         Phone:  (801) - 578-8279
440 East 100 South                     Fax:    (801) - 578-8272
Salt Lake City, UT  84111     Email: pat.lambrose@slc.k12.ut.us
Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself-
(Chinese Proverb)

------=OPENWEBMAIL_ATT_0.891480037317709

<HTML><HEAD>

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor="#ffffff">
<DIV><FONT size="2" face="Arial"><FONT size="3" face="Times New Roman">Hi,<BR><BR>I am
a science teacher at a small Montana school.&nbsp; We teach GIS as a<BR>separate
class, then encourage the students to use that skill to enhance<BR>projects as
well as create visuals, etc.&nbsp; My students learn skills as a<BR>part of an
exploratory project.&nbsp; The choose a spatial theme -- location<BR>of
snowmobile races, NasCar tracks, Fort Peck Reservoir, documenting a<BR>trip--
then demonstrate the skills they learn in their projects.&nbsp; The<BR>students
love to make projects individualistic, so they push to learn<BR>skills that will
make their project stand out.&nbsp; <BR><BR>I teach the intro class in 3.2a,
then introduce 8.3 to the intermediate<BR>and advanced classes.&nbsp; I have
found that ArcGIS, though more powerful<BR>and user friendly, is much more
resource intensive.&nbsp; It slows the<BR>computers considerably and tends to
lock them up and boot the students<BR>out of the program much more often than
3.2a.&nbsp; I would rather they learn<BR>on the older program so that it doesn't
frustrate them too much before<BR>they develop a fondness for it.<BR><BR>The
students have carried the skills over to science classes as well as<BR>English
and History classes by preparing visual aides for their projects<BR>using
3.2a.&nbsp; One of my students is even looking for colleges with a
GIS<BR>major.<BR><BR>Mariann Prewett<BR>Opheim
Schools<BR>Montana</FONT><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=OPENWEBMAIL_ATT_0.891480037317709--