[CSD Math MS] Secondary Math Newsletter Feb/March - New concurrent enrollment class and lots of PD opportunities!

Duncan, Allison ALLISON.DUNCAN at canyonsdistrict.org
Fri Feb 10 10:36:22 MST 2012

SECONDARY MATH AROUND THE CANYONS
FEBRUARY/MARCH ISSUE 2012

Clear your calendar:
February:
o   14th: Valentine’s Day

March
o   14th: Pi-Day – Do your students know where the number 3.14… comes from?

o   14th: State Math Contest – see information below

Resources
o   http://www.teachpi.org/activities.htm <http://www.teachpi.org/activities.htm>

o   http://www.edhelper.com/pi_day.htm <http://www.edhelper.com/pi_day.htm>

o   http://www.piday.org/ <http://www.piday.org/>

o   http://www.wikihow.com/Special:LSearch%3Fsearch%3DCelebrate-pi-day <http://www.wikihow.com/Special:LSearch%3Fsearch%3DCelebrate-pi-day>

o   http://www.pidye.com/thestorezone/piday.php <http://www.pidye.com/thestorezone/piday.php>

LOTS OF PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE!  SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW!

“There’s an app for that…”
Would you like a new way to introduce students to programming? Thinking about jumping on to the mobile development craze?  Then there is a summer workshop for you!  Cody Henrichsen, a programming teacher at CTEC, will be holding a three-day workshop this summer.  He will be going over the teaching of introductory programming concepts using AppInventor.  He will also be covering how to introduce topics in computer science and programming using the visual environment.  Also included are loading the apps onto an Android device and the benefits of using a graphical language.
• Location: Canyons Technical Education Center: 9085 S 825 E  Sandy Utah

q Dates: June 25 – 27 8:00 am – 3:30 pm each day

q Cost: $100

q Food: Lunch and snacks will be provided daily

q Registration: http://user.xmission.com/~danicody/CTEC/Presentations/android/index.html <http://user.xmission.com/~danicody/CTEC/Presentations/android/index.html>

q Questions:  cody.henrichsen at gmail.com <mailto:cody.henrichsen at gmail.com>  801-808-2905

Math-in-CTE

This summer we have a great opportunity for our CTE teachers to participate in an excellent program called “Math-in-CTE”.  In this program CTE teachers pair up with a math teacher from their school and work together to help enhance the math naturally found in the CTE curriculum.  This is a great way for basic math concepts (such as fractions, measurement, ratio, proportions, percents, etc...) to be reinforced in applicable, real-world situations OUTSIDE of the math classroom.

In this program, a math teacher will work side by side with a CTE teacher from their school to help them plan, implement, and improve lessons that have math concepts embedded within them.  The commitment is a week during the summer and then 4 days during the school year (spread throughout the year). Teachers will be paid a stipend for their time and will be eligible to receive university credit through SUU.

Because CTE teachers are not math teachers, and we don’t expect them to be, it is especially important for them to have a math teacher from their school to work with to make sure they are using the correct vocabulary and algorithms...not just teaching the students shortcuts.  We started this program last year in the high schools with the Family and Consumer Science teachers (FACS) and have found great success!  Now we are excited to expand the program to the middle schools and the rest of the CTE FACS teachers.

The summer training will be June 25 – 29 (AFTER the 9th grade training), and the school year trainings will be determined at that time.

We need a teacher from EVERY MIDDLE SCHOOL and another math teacher from each high school to participate in this program.  I already have commitments from Crescent View, Midvale, and Alta.

If you are interested, please email me ASAP (Allison.duncan at canyonsdistrict.org <mailto:Allison.duncan at canyonsdistrict.org> ).  This is a great opportunity not only for our teachers but for our students as well.  Imagine a student being taught math concepts in more than one class each day???

NEW CONCURRENT ENROLLMENT CLASS AVAILABLE

A new concurrent enrollment class is now available!  The Math 1030 course has been designed to coordinate with the Mathematical Decision Making for Life class.  This course has been enhanced through a legislatively funded project by providing a hybrid course that gives additional supports for teachers.  This is an online learning course for students that will fulfill their math requirement for college if they are pursuing non-STEM related careers.  It can either be taught as a semester course or as a full year course.  Students will receive 3 CE credits and appropriate math credit towards graduation.  A full week of professional development will be offered to teachers in August.  Contact Maggie Cummings for questions and additional details.  margaritacummings at gmail.com <mailto:margaritacummings at gmail.com>

STATE MATH CONTEST

The state math contest will be held on Wednesday, March 14.  Please visit http://www.math.usu.edu//index.php?program=mcon <http://www.math.usu.edu//index.php?program=mcon> for more information.  You can download past exams and register online.  This is an excellent opportunity for your students who enjoy mathematics, as well as a fun event for teachers!  Contact Bryan Bornholdt with questions.  Bryan.Bornholdt at usu.edu <mailto:Bryan.Bornholdt at usu.edu> .

ALL THINGS RATIONAL

What are rational numbers and how do they relate to proportional reasoning?  To find out, join Davis School District and USOE for a professional development course designed to help make sense of rational numbers and proportional reasoning as outlined in the common core.  Don’t miss this opportunity to come together with other mathematics professionals to examine classroom practices that promote depths and understanding of these important, but frequently misunderstood concepts in the middle school mathematics curriculum.  See attached flyer for more details including dates and times.

FOCUS ON FUNCTIONS – HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR TEACHERS TEACHING THE 9th GRADE CORE NEXT YEAR

What are functions and how can I deepen my students’ understanding of them?  To find out, join Davis School District and USOE for a professional development course designed to help make sense of functions in intuitive ways.  Don’t miss this opportunity to come together with other mathematics professionals to examine classroom practices that promote depths of understanding of this important, but frequently misunderstood concept in the high school mathematics curriculum.  See attached flyer for details including dates and times.

MAKING SENSE OF SENSE MAKING

Are you interested in earning lane change credit? Would you like to collaborate on a lesson study? Would you like to improve your teaching practice to effectively teach the Common Core State Standards?  Join USOE and Salt Lake School District for the Making Sense of Sense Making course.  This course will focus on developing habits of mind that support work in the new Mathematics Core.  This course will develop teacher abilities in choosing high quality tasks, conducting discourse in the classroom, and engaging in instructional improvement through lesson study.  See attached flyer for details including dates and times.  Direct questions to Joleigh Honey joleigh.honey at slcschools.org <mailto:joleigh.honey at slcschools.org>

AND IF THAT’S NOT ENOUGH…

NEED SOME TECHNOLOGY TRAINING? – You will if you are teaching 9th grade next year!

Texas Instruments announces its free T3 webinar series for mathematics.  Experienced educators with math and science backgrounds present the webinars.  The series features live and on-demand sessions where educators can learn how to effectively use TI technology for building understanding of math and science concepts.  The webinars also show teachers how to take advantage of the many other free resources that TI offers.  All webinars are about one hour long and are recorded for on-demand viewing later.  “Certificates of Attendance” will be available to conference participants. For more information go to  http://education.ti.com/calculators/pd/US/online-learning/webinars

CALLING ON STUDENTS TO JOIN SIEMENS “WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD” CHALLENGE
GREAT IDEA FOR 7TH AND 8TH GRADE HONORS STUDENTS!

Responsibility for tomorrow’s most daunting environmental problems will fall to the youth of today – the very people creating some of the most inspired solutions.  Helping generate these solutions is the national sustainability challenge for K – 12 students, the Siemens We Can Change the World Challenge. Through the challenge, students team up with classmates under teacher/mentors to solve environmental problems in their community (grades 6 – 8), and world (grades 9 – 12).  Now entering its fourth year, the challenge is a collaborative effort of the Siemens Foundation, Discovery Education, the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), and the College Board.  Students at all levels use scientific investigation and web-based curriculum tools powered by Discovery Education to create a replicable green solution.  Nearly 18,000 elementary, middle, and high school students competed in last year’s challenge, offering innovations in areas such as food-waste-to-energy, community-scale battery recycling, phantom-power load reduction, systematic behavior change, erosion control, wildlife habitat restoration, and sustainable agriculture for arid zones. Deadline to submit projects is March 15, 2012.  See www.wecanchange.com <http://www.wecanchange.com> for information and to add your student team.