[CSD Math MS] 1st ever Secondary Math Newsletter!

Duncan, Allison ALLISON.DUNCAN at canyonsdistrict.org
Thu Aug 25 09:19:15 MDT 2011

Here it is!  The first ever Canyons Secondary Math Newsletter!  I will be sending this out electronically as well as print.

SECONDARY MATH AROUND the CANYONS
August/September Issue

Due to the HUGE success of the Social Studies monthly newsletter, I have decided to start a monthly math newsletter.  Here you will find opportunities for professional development, meeting dates and times, tips, and any other fun stuff I can think of...ENJOY!

Clear your calendar:
August
22nd: First Day of School YAY!
29th: 9th Grade Transition Team Meeting
3:30 – 5:00 CAB EBL Mini Conference Room
31st: 7th Grade Study Group
3:30 – 5:00 CAB EBL Mini Conference Room

September
1st: 8th Grade Study Group
       3:30 – 5:00 CAB EBL Mini Conference Room
12th – 15th: Fall Testing window for M-CBMs in the middle schools

Resources:
Check these out:
http://csdmath.weebly.com/index.html <http://csdmath.weebly.com/index.html> - this is the website talked about at the MS summer math academies.  It is still under construction, but it will continue to be updated.  Lots and lots of thanks to LAURA WOODHOUSE for putting this together for us!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/maths/number/ <http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/maths/number/>  Looking for a new way to reinforce “old” concepts?  Check this website out for fun games and videos that will appeal to all types of learners.

http://schools.utah.gov/CURR/mathsec/default.aspx <http://schools.utah.gov/CURR/mathsec/default.aspx> This is the State’s secondary math website.  It has links to the 2007 core, the common core, as well as other resources.  Click on the common core link and it will take you to the 7th, 8th, and HS strands of the common core.

A Little Fall Reading:

Math Doesn’t Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math Without Loosing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail By Danica McKellar

20 Napkins of Mathematics: How I Taught my Sons Mathematics at Burger King by Jon Michael Smith

Accessible Mathematics: 10 Instructional Shifts that Raise Student Achievement by Steven Leinwand

Grade Level Study Groups

In an effort to further support the 7th and 8th grade teachers with implementing the new common core this year, I am going to be holding grade level study groups.  We will be meeting once/twice a month (as needed) and we will be discussing the topics and standards that are to be taught that month.  We’ll be discussing teaching strategies, instructional shifts, and ways to engage our students.  These groups are purely voluntary and not at all mandatory. CACTUS credit will be available to those who complete 14 hours of seat time and 4 hours outside of class implementing the ideas and reflecting upon them.  CACTUS credit = lane change credit  :)

New Teachers

We’ve had a handful of new math teachers join us in Canyons this year.  We are excited to have them on our team!  WELCOME!

Instructional Shift of the Month (August/September)

(From the book: Accessible Mathematics, preview a summary of this book: http://www.vanguardnyc.net/foodforthought/mainidea031410.pdf)

Instructional shift #1: Incorporate ongoing cumulative review into every day’s lesson.

Ever have one of those years where you feel like you can’t ever get to the good stuff because you have to spend too much time reviewing last year’s material?  “…one of the most effective  strategies for fostering mastery and retention of critical mathematics skills and concepts is daily cumulative review” (Leinwand, 2009).  The awesome thing is, we already do this with our starters, “At the Bell”, warm-ups, or the questions we write on the board for our students to do when the bell rings.

So what should we see in an effective math classroom?
•     A deliberate and carefully planned reliance on ongoing, cumulative review of key skills and concepts

·     Using cumulative review to keep skills and understandings fresh, reinforce previously taught material, and give students a chance to clarify their understandings

·     Classes that waste no time and begin with substantive mathematics at the very start of every class

·     The use of a brief review and whole-class checking of “mini-math” questions as an opportunity to re-teach when necessary.

USTAR

Information about applying for USTAR funds will be coming shortly.

Need some lane change credit??

USU is offering Math 5810: Mathematics and Statistics Education Journal Club.  “In Journal Club, participants select, read, present, and discuss research and trade journal articles on mathematics and statistics education topics. We warmly welcome secondary mathematics teachers to register and participate in the course.  This year we will specifically address articles related to integrated mathematics curriculum and instruction.  We aim to learn more about the implementation of the Utah Common Core Standards!”  For more information contact Brynja Kohler at brynja.kohler at usu.edu <mailto:brynja.kohler at usu.edu>   This class will be offered statewide via interactive broadcast Fall 2011 Semester 8/29 – 12-05 Monsays from 3:30 to 5:00 pm.

And last but not least…

Don’t forget to laugh!

If you have any items for our newsletter, let me know!

Allison.duncan at canyonsdistrict.org <mailto:Allison.duncan at canyonsdistrict.org>