[CSD Math MS] Thank YOU

Pettersson, Hollie Hollie.Pettersson at canyonsdistrict.org
Fri Sep 10 12:58:23 MDT 2010

Dear Middle School Math Teachers,

As I have been checking in with principals and EBL, I have been incredibly impressed with the professionalism that you as a group have demonstrated.  Adjusting always feels stressful.  Thank you for performing professional yoga over the last week as administration of CBM (i.e. M-COMP and M-CAP) occurred.

I wanted to update you:

1).  For those schools who were unable to finishing scoring of their assessments, we are happy to help.  EBL will come out to schools today to collect student tests and finish this job, we are all in this together and we'll figure it out!

2).  For the winter assessment, which occurs in January, we (EBL) will handle 100% of the scoring.  This is due to the timing of the winter benchmark in relation to other activities scheduled (i.e. parent teacher conferences, semester changes).

3).  Data should be fully entered into the Aimsweb system by the late afternoon on Friday, September 17th.  For those of you who are itching-- you can look up data at that point.  We will send out a ning on Friday, September 24th explaining how teachers can access their data and utilize the system.

4).  Dr. Doty and members of our school board have already asked about the results of our first round of CBM math testing.  Folks are taking notice and I am certain that the information will be helpful as we all plan forward for math instruction in Canyons.  This is a great year for our middle school math teachers to truly shine!

5).  More information about the common core state standards (CCSS) --we have recently learned that the math CCSS are being implemented across the state to a much larger scale that we thought.  Several of our neighboring districts have implemented at various levels.  We'll keep you in the loop as we learn more!

Please have a great weekend and know that you are truly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Hollie

Hollie Pettersson, Ph.D.
Director of Evidence-Based Learning, Secondary
Canyons School District

"Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most."  --   Fyodor Dostoevsky