[Curriculum Directors] Information: Questar Contract Terminated

Throndsen, Jennifer Jennifer.Throndsen at schools.utah.gov
Fri Jun 7 12:06:59 MDT 2019

One more piece of eventful news from last night's Board meeting...
Good morning,

As each of you are aware, the delivery of Utah's RISE assessments has been impacted by multiple service interruptions, ongoing problems with the benchmark, interim, and summative reports, inadvertent student test resets, as well as other irregularities. Representing the USBE, I have requested patience and continued support as we worked with our vendor to deliver a reliable and eventually world class assessment system. The hopeful optimism I described in a prior email has been partnered with a necessity to attend to the realities of our circumstances. Last night (actually very early this morning), the Utah State Board of Education, after a thoughtful and fact-filled discussion, determined that it is in the best interest of our students and teachers to terminate the Questar contract. In addition, the Board has directed staff to find a short-term contract with a temporary provider, that will be fully operational for the 2019/2020 school year. Furthermore, USBE staff will begin developing the RFP that will identify a long-term partner for this assessment solution, becoming operational for the 2022/2023. I am grateful to work with educators and leaders like each of you and for a Board that is committed to providing our students and educators with the finest tools and resources available. I believe last night's decision by the Board is illustrative of this commitment to our students and educators. We will provide additional information as it becomes available.

Sincerely,

Darin Nielsen
Assistant Superintendent of Student Learning
Utah State Board of Education
250 E 500 S.
P.O. Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84144-4200