[Curriculum Directors] Request for input: Utah State Board of Education News Release: First-ever statewide Student Advisory Council created in Utah; Juniors and seniors are invited to apply for seat on the council

Suddreth, Diana Diana.Suddreth at schools.utah.gov
Thu Sep 6 14:20:12 MDT 2018

Curriculum Directors,

In a unanimous vote today, the Utah State Board of Education has approved a policy creating the first-ever statewide Student Advisory Council. This group, made up of 15 juniors and seniors, will meet at least six times a year and provide suggestions and feedback to the USBE. I have attached the policy, application, and a media announcement about the Student Advisory Council. That information can also be found here: https://schools.utah.gov/board/participation/advisorygroups/sac

Utah is now the first state in the nation to create a Student Advisory Council through policy and will be one of 26 states to include student participation at the state level. Of those, 17 states have statutes that mandate at least one board member be a student, and the other eight states have a current Student Advisory Council created through either statute or superintendent initiative.

The application period is now open, and we appreciate any help you can offer in distributing the information to students. Applications will be accepted through Oct. 5. One student per State Board district will be selected. Students unsure of the district in which they reside can enter their address here: https://elections.utah.gov/map/district-maps.

You can also see the News Release below.

Diana Suddreth, Director of Teaching & Learning
Diana.suddreth at schools.utah.gov<mailto:Diana.suddreth at schools.utah.gov>

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D445EC.AAE77180]
September 6, 2018
For Immediate Release

Contact:             Emilie Wheeler, public information officer

                           801-707-8421 | Emilie.wheeler at schools.utah.gov<mailto:Emilie.wheeler at schools.utah.gov>

First-ever statewide Student Advisory Council created in Utah
Juniors and seniors are invited to apply for seat on the council

SALT LAKE CITY- The Utah State Board of Education voted Thursday to create a Student Advisory Council that will provide suggestions and feedback to the 15-member elected body.

In a unanimous vote, the Board approved an internal policy establishing the council, which is the first of its kind in Utah. The council will include 15 juniors and seniors who will represent the same geographical areas<https://www.schools.utah.gov/board/utah/districtsmap> represented by each member of the Board.

Board Member Linda Hansen<https://www.schools.utah.gov/board/members/utah/lindahansen>, District 3, brought the idea to the full Board after she was approached by a student advocating for the involvement of student voices in statewide education policy decisions.

"The Board makes better decisions when we hear many different points of view, and the students' viewpoint is one that we have been missing. Their perspective is incredibly valuable," Hansen said. "When the education community listens to all voices, it is more cohesive and that is when we see the very best things happen in education."

The Student Advisory Council will meet at least every other month to discuss how decisions made at the state level affect students. Membership will be split between grades 11 and 12.

Students can find the application at https://schools.utah.gov/board/participation/advisorygroups/sac. To be considered, students must be 16 and a junior or senior. Applications are due Friday, October 5, 2018.

###