[Curriculum Directors] Action: Equity Lab Invitation

Suddreth, Diana Diana.Suddreth at schools.utah.gov
Fri Nov 30 08:26:15 MST 2018

Dear Educator,

Every child, regardless of circumstances or characteristics, is entitled to an effective teacher. Yet, in Utah, there are differences regarding access to excellent, effective teachers. The source and extent of these inequities varies by location and has multiple causes, all of which put children at risk. We cannot turn a blind eye to these inequities; we must address them.

We are pleased to offer a full day Equity Lab for LEAs focused on examining data regarding teacher experience and qualifications as it relates to student achievement locally. The Lab will include tools for examining root causes and will provide time for your team to construct a theory of action that will lead to a proactive plan to address our desire to ensure that every child has an effective teacher.

In order to get the most of out of the lab, we are asking that LEAs who wish to participate send teams of 3-5 who will work together to understand your local reality and craft a plan to address inequities.  The team should ideally be led by someone associated with human capital, probably your LEA human resources officer, and should also include someone whose responsibilities focus on equity.  In addition, please consider adding to your team others such as your superintendent or an associate, a supervisor of principals, principals, curriculum directors, or other LEA staff who can help ensure effective teachers for every student.

Our labs will be held across the state from 8:45-3:00 at the following locations. You may attend any session that is convenient to you, and your entire team should attend the same session.

January 15
Weber School District Offices
5320 Adams Parkway
Ogden

January 18
Washington County School District Woodward Building
75 Tabernacle
St. George, UT

January 22
Utah State Board of Education
250 E 500 S
Salt Lake City

January 23
Wasatch School District Offices
101 E 200 N
Heber City

January 24
Sevier School District Offices
180 E 600 N
Richfield

January 25
Grand County School District Offices
264 Fourth E St
Moab

Registration is now open on MIDAS for course 47799 where you can select your preferred date and location.  Registration closes on January 4.  As space is limited, we encourage you to put your team together an register as early as possible.

We look forward to hosting you and working with you on this challenge.

Diana Suddreth, Director of Teaching & Learning
Diana.suddreth at schools.utah.gov<mailto:Diana.suddreth at schools.utah.gov>