[Curriculum Directors] Fw: Preliminary Draft of R277-303

Collins, Jonathan Jonathan.Collins at schools.utah.gov
Mon May 7 13:20:22 MDT 2018

Curriculum Directors,

Please see the message below and attached documents from Travis Rawlings regarding updates to Educator Licensing.  This discussion will also be a part of our Curriculum Directors Meeting, this Wednesday (5/9) at USBE in the Basement West Conference Room.

Sincerely,

Jon Collins
Administrative Secretary
Diana Suddreth, Teaching and Learning Director
Utah State Board of Education
250 E 500 S | PO Box 144200  | Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200 |•: 801.538.7788 | 7: 801-538.7769 |• : jonathan.collins at schools.utah.gov<mailto:jonathan.collins at schools.utah.gov>
Please consider the environment before printing this email. P

Dear everyone,

Attached is the first draft of the proposed revisions to R277-503 under the new licensing system that will go into effect in the 2020-21 school year; labeled as R277-303 in the new system.  The current version of this rule is primarily focused on the ARL program and LEA-specific licensing.  The attached rationale is intended to help provide a background for how staff wrote the draft.  You will find that this draft is less refined than previous rules we have distributed in this area and it has included some of the language from R277-301.  Please feel free to provide feedback regarding the rule’s layout or grouping of concepts if you wish to do so.

As you go through the rule, you may wish to consider the following questions:

·         What are the advantages and disadvantages of having programs approved by the Superintendent versus the Board?

·         What ideas do you have regarding the Superintendent’s responsibilities described on Lines 61-69?

·         What should the program described in Lines 71-75 look like?  Should this be detailed more fully in the rule, why or why not?

·         How does the implementation of the rule impact LEAs, large or small?

Please note that I need any written feedback you have on the rule by noon on Wednesday, May 23, in order for it to be considered for the draft of the rule that will be presented in the June Board meeting.

Thank you for help with this.  Please look for an email like this every other month or so as we move forward preparing to implement the new system.

Travis Rawlings
Educator Licensing Coordinator;
Teaching and Learning;
Utah State Board of Education