[Curriculum Directors] Application and Renewal for the Summer Food Service Program Due Soon!

Anderson, Matthew Matthew.Anderson at schools.utah.gov
Thu Mar 15 17:21:57 MDT 2018

[cid:50f9a75f-05f1-4a58-9b66-f85ae93ebe7c]
Summer Champions,
It is once again time to apply for, or renew, your application to participate in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). By offering summer programs that include a meal service, you help to ensure the children of Utah have adequate access to safe and nutritious foods when school is not in session. Meeting this basic need is essential for children to establish healthy eating patterns and develop a strong foundation for academic achievement.

Applications for returning sponsors and sites must be updated and pending approval in CNPweb<https://cnpweb.schools.utah.gov/cnpweb/Login.asp> by 4/15/2018. New summer sites can be added to an approved sponsor at any time. If you wish to update your site eligibility, you can use the attached Site Eligibility Form. The only sites that do not require additional documentation are school sites using their own most recent October Survey information.

New and Returning Sponsors must complete annual state agency SFSP Training prior to final approval. More information about in-person and on-line training options will be posted to the USBE SFSP Website<https://www.schools.utah.gov/cnp/sfsp> training tab.

Screening applications for new sponsors and their sites are due by 4/30/2018, or 30 days prior to the earliest site’s first day of operation. Our office can work with sponsors on a case by case basis until the federal cut-off date of 6/15/2018, but we suggest you complete all application activities at least 30 days prior to this date. Doing so will allow sufficient time for our office to provide training as well as review and approve your application(s). We encourage any interested sponsor to contact our office now, so we know you are working on an application. Sponsors that may need to contract with a commercial Food Service Management Company for meals should contact the State Agency as soon as possible, as additional application and approval time will be needed.

For more basic information about how you may get involved with the SFSP, please review the SFSP Fact Sheet<https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/sfsp/SFSP-Fact-Sheet.pdf> and visit the following website (https://www.schools.utah.gov/cnp/sfsp) and click on the Qualifying/Applying tab.
The USDA Capacity Builder Map<https://www.fns.usda.gov/capacitybuilder> allows users to visualize “layers” of information, such as underserved areas, and identify locations for new and existing sites. Users can find census information as well as their nearest potential community partners such as multi-family housing units, libraries, faith-based institutions, military bases, schools and more. The Capacity Builder is a powerful tool for State agencies and sponsors to evaluate the previous summer’s performance as well plan for summer.

One of the easiest ways a site can qualify for the SFSP is by being at a school, or within the enrollment boundaries of a school, where at least 50% of the children qualify for free or reduced (F/R) meals. Attached is the October Survey for SY2018. Included in the workbook are three worksheets: the complete October Survey, schools that are at least 50% free and reduced (F/R), and a worksheet of those schools that are 40-49.994%. Please remember that the October Survey is a great place to start when determining program eligibility, but there are many factors to consider when determining area eligibility based on school data, as well as many other ways sites can qualify for the SFSP.
To learn how to determine if your sites are eligible for the SFSP watch the following video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0ZTobGSUc&feature=youtu.be

Please contact our office if you would like to learn more about the SFSP or have questions about sponsor or site eligibility.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
 USDA Nondiscrimination Statement<https://www.schools.utah.gov/file/bc249228-5458-4e7a-b5ac-9111e9169f73> |  Spanish<https://www.schools.utah.gov/File/9f902554-954b-4d2c-9dd8-73b48c23efa0>

Matthew Anderson
Summer and Afterschool Coordinator
matthew.anderson at schools.utah.gov<mailto:matthew.anderson at schools.utah.gov>