[Curriculum Directors] Last week to win a Hamilton ticket, Writing Contest for Utah 9th-12th graders- entries due February 20th

Collins, Jonathan Jonathan.Collins at schools.utah.gov
Mon Feb 12 08:53:20 MST 2018

Curriculum Directors,

Please see the message below from Tamara Burnside regarding a student opportunity to see the Hamilton musical.

Sincerely,

Jon Collins
Administrative Secretary
Diana Suddreth, Teaching and Learning Director
Utah State Board of Education
250 E 500 S | PO Box 144200  | Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200 |•: 801.538.7788 | 7: 801-538.7769 |• : jonathan.collins at schools.utah.gov<mailto:jonathan.collins at schools.utah.gov>
Please consider the environment before printing this email. P

PLEASE SHARE THIS OPPORTUNITIES WITH YOUR 9-12 TEACHERS

Dear Educator,

It's the last week for students to enter the "Telling my Utah Story" <https://newnationproject.utah.gov/letter-competition> writing contest. By submitting a qualified entry into this contest, you will be entered in a drawing to win a ticket to attend Hamilton with one of your elected officials on April 19 or April 21, 2018.

Attached is an easy to follow presentation to share with your class.

Quote from the Salt Lake Tribune:

“Your Obedient Servant • Utah high-school students can write their way in, just as Alexander Hamilton did. The New Nations contest invites students to write their legislator or Salt Lake City or County council person with their passionate solutions to civic problems. “Hamilton” tickets (for the April 19 or 21 shows) will be awarded to entrants through a random drawing. Odds are pretty good, as two students from each state House and Senate district will win tickets, with additional tickets awarded to students in Salt Lake City and County council districts. You’ll need to get your quill on, though: Submission deadline is 9 a.m. Feb. 20. Rules here,<https://newnationproject.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/NNP_WritingCompetition_Rules-1.pdf> and submission link here<https://www.tfaforms.com/4650344>."

Quote from the Deseret News:

"Nearly 250 high school students have a chance to see 'Hamilton' — for free

Through the New Nation Project<https://newnationproject.utah.gov/>, a program run by the state Department of Heritage and Arts, high school students can enter a random drawing to win a ticket to see “Hamilton” in Salt Lake City on either April 19 or 21, according to a news release. To have a qualified entry, students must write a letter to one of their legislators that describes an issue and proposes a solution. Entry forms and additional details can be found atnewnationproject.utah.gov<http://newnationproject.utah.gov/>. Winners will be drawn randomly.

“We didn’t want to make this a competition,” said Josh Loftin, public information officer for Utah's Department of Heritage and Arts, told the Deseret News. “It’s a random drawing. … Our goal is not to reward the best person — we just want everybody to have a chance to win because we want to reward civic engagement generally.”

Including both the House and Senate, Utah has 104 legislative districts. Two students from each of these districts will win a ticket to see “Hamilton” with their respective elected officials (who pay face value for their own tickets). In addition, two students from each Salt Lake City Council District and Salt Lake County Council District (a total of 16) will also win a ticket to attend “Hamilton” with their elected officials — making a grand total of 240 tickets, with a future announcement pending about a small handful of additional tickets.

“That’s how we’re going to make sure it’s not just overloaded with kids from Salt Lake,” Loftin said. “We want to get kids from all over the state to be able to come to this. And if they’re coming from … more than 50 miles, they’ll be reimbursed for travel expenses. We want to get those rural kids who don’t have as many chances in particular to be able to come.”