[Curriculum Directors] FW: Utah State Board of Education Meeting Summary for Oct. 12, 2017

Suddreth, Diana Diana.Suddreth at schools.utah.gov
Fri Oct 13 08:51:56 MDT 2017

Please see the summary of yesterday's board of education meeting below.  Of primary interest to curriculum directors is that R277-700 has been returned to committee for further discussion.  At this point, the earliest the board could settle on a rule would be at the December meeting, and the earliest a rule could be effective would be sometime in January.  That means that the rule that we discussed at our last curriculum director's meeting will not be effective during registration if you conduct that in January.  My best advice is to proceed as if there has been no rule change and we will discuss ways to adapt should a rule be passed in December.  I will keep you apprised.

Several board members indicated in the meeting yesterday that they didn't want to vote on a proposed change until they talked to their stakeholders.  If you have thoughts on what should be included (or not) in the middle school rule, it would be very helpful to the board if you would contact the member that represents your district or charter school.